Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
Darkstar

Tagged Lobsters

Saw this last night on the San Diego Oceans Foundation site;

http://www.sdoceans.org/lobster.html

Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
roadx

so is this a good idea to turn in tags or will i be in a way supporting MLPA area closers by doing so?
are they are looking for data that supports their theory that lobsters in a protected area will migrate out and populate other open areas, proving closers do work??

or do i have this all wrong?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
so is this a good idea to turn in tags or will i be in a way supporting MLPA area closers by doing so?
are they are looking for data that supports their theory that lobsters in a protected area will migrate out and populate other open areas, proving closers do work??

or do i have this all wrong?
Personally I think you are quite close to the reason for tagging...

Tagging typically will tell them when the age/size when tagged, and growth since. Unsure if it will tell them how and where they traveled, but it will most certainly tell them where they were put in at and where they were picked up.

Therefore, if it is caught where they dropped it, it would substantiate their theory of non-migration, thus (in their puny clouded eyes) a reasoning for recommended closure of said area to not deplete the stock, esp if it were a female or large breeder male.

And conversely, if it has migrated, it would further substantiate their theory that it is warranted to recommend a closure since they are migratory...

This sums it up...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/29529/the-...ediocre-genius

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
roadx

cut n paste from http://www.sdoceans.org/lobster.html

Quote:
In September 2011, we tagged about 5,000 lobsters off the coasts of Laguna, Point Loma, and South La Jolla in zones slated to become MPAs. Each green tag is inserted into the back of the lobster between the tail and the upper section of the exoskeleton called the carapace. The tags are numbered and information on the lobster’s GPS coordinates, sex, reproductive state, and size are recorded corresponding to the tag number so that researchers can learn how the lobster travels in and out of the MPA (spillover), its growth rate, and other relevant information when the lobster is recaptured.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Autrout
Junior

Big brother is watching . . . .
Autrout is offline   Reply With Quote