Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #21
Slay Rider

Sharks and kayak fishermen have always had an uneasy relationship given the close proximity of the fisherman to the water. Unlike any other fish in the ocean, they never give up the fight. While most are released, a couple are harvested each season. I’ve cut the bellies and gills out of sharks and had them look back at me with those shark eyes and sinister grin as if to say “That’s all you got.” And then make another series of powerful runs.

The Iceman’s shark was half his weight but still took the two of us to release. Once brought to the boat, I grabbed it by the nose with my left hand - with my right hand went in with plyers. This was not nearly as easy to do as it is to describe. Once the shark was free, it opened its mouth wide and made a final lunge for me.

I’m fast but I wasn’t fast enough - a row of razor sharp teeth cut me to the bone. Quickly pulling my bloody hand close to my chest, I trembled with fear and the thought of what might have happened had the shark been a little faster or I a little slower raced through my mind.

With my blood trailing from his mouth, we watched as the dark figure descended into the deep La Jolla Canyon beneath us. The deck of my kayak was now bloody but it was my own blood.

Looking towards the west and to all sharks everywhere, the Slay Rider shouted out in anger “THAT”S ALL YOU GOT”.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #22
Jim Sammons LJKF

You know John, that once they taste human blood they get a hunger for it and become man eaters for life. :shock:
Keep your toes on board :twisted:
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #23
Hook 1

EE you need to write that up and put it in the mag.
Nice butt Andy, are you losing weight? Went out at
Dana for small butts, a calico, and a cuda. Water
was very dirty outside.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #24
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

John, LOCO PESCADORE indeed!!

The cost of a jig at Squidco $7.00......

Keeping all of your digits..........

PRICELESS!!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #25
DESTROYER

Nice Job Andy! Now all you have to do is catch a YT, WSB, and BFT and you will have them all in one month :lol: The new format is going to make this year very interesting.

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #26
Aaron&Julie

In the hole, already

Congratulations, Iceman on a very impressive 1st fish of 2006. Good points and tablefare, a great way to start the year.
We're still going to "contribute" our share to this year's WCW jackpot before our 1st kayak trip of the year. The format looks much more favorable to those of us who can't make it out as often, or waiting on fair weather.