Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
sterling

SD Bay Halibut Report

A friend and I went out to the mouth of SD Bay on Saturday looking for Halibut. Early we saw an aluminium boat land a nice one. Turned out to be 23#! Things looked good. Shortly after I hook up. It looks short so I net it. It was 20". Some time later I'm on again, this looks a bit bigger. I don't want to stick a short Halibut so I net it. It was about 3/4 in the net and I was stretching as far as I could. It slid out and the hook found netting giving the butt it's freedom. That sucked! Lesson learned. Don't stretch out guide him in like the first one! ops:
Of note we were getting our baits chewed, ranked and mangled all morning. Yet they kept from finding the main hook or the trap hook. Any body fish the big bay a lot know what that could be. I am thinking very little Halibut. My friend did manage some 6-8" ones up tight on small plastics, Sandabs, or lizard fish?
Also hooked 3 barries on a rebel rapala on the way out landed one. The largest threw the hook. It looked to be legal. Hooked it just off the Lawrence street launch. Finding the barries that far in was kind of surprising to me.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote