Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Southman

Another fish fidner question

Hi all,
New to the forum and have been lurking for a couple of weeks now. What a great knowledge base this place is for someone entering the kayak fishing world. Plus, there are some crazy dudes here that make it a lot of fun.

I've been out with my Revo 11 a few times and haven't exactly burned the drag up on my reel. It's been pretty slow for me. So fishing blind must end.

I've been looking at FF and narrowed it to a couple models. I plan to do the transducer mount with the Duct Seal. From reading the posts, I definitely want to go with one that has GPS to get back to the good spots (if I ever find some )

My $ limit is about $400 for the FF. The Hummingbird 385 ci DI and the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI are the two I'm considering. Does anyone have a DSI and if so is the picture on the screen as clear as it is in the product ads?

Do you have a FF you would recommend or should I look at any others? (keeping my price point in mind)

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and hope to see you on the water sometime. Dana Point is where I've been launching mostly.

Thanks!
Southman
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Mr hooks

Had the larance elite 4dsi with GPS and it was a solid ff finder but it only says its good 200 or so ft in salt water. Now I have hummingbird 385 ci and love it. The 385 ci is not down Imaging. The down imaging is nice but the screen size on the Dsi 4 is too small for me. Also I found that u get a glare from the sun. I now have the 385 ci and so far very happy with it. The hummingbird in my opinion is easy to use. If I had a to pick between the two I would pick the 385. Also if u shop around u can pick one up for right around $300.00 Thanks hope this helps you out. Good luck.
Mr hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
GREYAK
Junior

X2 on the Humminbird
GREYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Southman

fishfinder

Thanks you guys for your thoughts. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna head out this weekend and pick up a Humbrd. Hope it's only a 2 or 3 beer install.
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
roadx

only drawback of the HB is the mount with the wires attached.
other wise i like mine.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Flatinfifth

Southman,

Humminbird 597 HD Di Combo. Yes the Di function is awesome but more important is that GPS feature. Once you have found a little rock pile that holds fish, you have to go back to it and stay on it. Out in open water, the GPS will make much more difference than the Di. We have had our 597's for a year and sweat by them.

Angel Figueras.
Flatinfifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatinfifth View Post
Southman,

Humminbird 597 HD Di Combo. Yes the Di function is awesome but more important is that GPS feature. Once you have found a little rock pile that holds fish, you have to go back to it and stay on it. Out in open water, the GPS will make much more difference than the Di. We have had our 597's for a year and sweat by them.

Angel Figueras.
Hey Angel, how do you have your transducer installed? Do you shoot through the hull or is it in the water?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
fishingfiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatinfifth View Post
Southman,

Angel Figueras.
I totally enjoy my 597 ci di HD combo. The only thing that would make it better is Side Imaging.

To the OP, at your $400 pricepoint the Humminbird 386ci di combo is going to be the better bet. In the lower pricepoints, I think Humminbird is tough to beat. For example, the Lowrance Elite 4 down imaging does not have traditional sonar so it's an all or nothing proposition. I think Lowrance has finally pulled their head out and they are introducing sonar/down imaging combos now in the new Elite7. As mentioned earlier, the mount is not the greatest, but I've gotten over it.

On that note, I'd be willing to part with my 1 season old 597ci di hd combo for a great price so that I can get the 598 side imaging. Just a thought, PM if interested.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote