Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

Upgrade idea. Good or bad?

So I bought my revolution 13' from oex in 2012 . I've fished la jolla, Dana, both bays. I'm highly considering selling my revolution at this point. I love that it's fast. And I can't believe I went a year of fishing without the turbo fins. Those things make this boat a rocket. , I've surf launched plenty of times in la jolla. For the most part I try to pick small days. But there has been a couple times when I've been pretty intimidated coming back in. The only time I've actually flipped this thing was because of the Sum Fun in Dana point cruisin past me at 30 chasing dolphin. He was no more than 30 yards away. I really wanted to key that boat when I got in, but refrained. I basically have my revolution sold to my friend if I want to, but I'm not sure if upgrading to a new outback will change much. Has anyone owned both and preferred the outback due to getting swamped by the waves/wakes. I know I would enjoy the lowrance ready hull, and I'm not sure I should get a PA 14. Those things just look heavy. I am 25yrs old and not getting any smaller. I'm 6'3" 220 and still growing horizontally. Not to mention I just had hernia repair surgery last Tuesday. Input would really be appreciated. While waiting a couple more weeks to heal and get back on the water, I'll take your advice , think it over and have time to make a decision. Thanks guys.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Go with the PA, once you figure out how to move it, it's not that heavy. I have no problems keeping up with guys on outbacks and revos.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Go with the PA, once you figure out how to move it, it's not that heavy. I have no problems keeping up with guys on outbacks and revos.
Seems like the 14 would be the way to go vs the 12.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
X2 on the PA!! I love mine and we are close to same size. I like the stable ride and that I can stretch out in it.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

So I pulled the trigger today and got the new pa14. This thing has so many nice features. Already installed the gear tracks and mounted and wired FF . There was one problem with the 50/200-455/800 ducer fitting in the lowrance ready bay. But nothing a sawzall couldn't fix. I'll be fishing Sunday and it will be my first time being on a PA on the water. So stoked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.9 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by YakDout; 03-27-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Fishin Phil

Congrats. Nice ride.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Phil View Post
Congrats. Nice ride.
Thanks brotha
Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Good move. I have the 12 and couldn't be happier. I'm sure you will be the same.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
LDO10

I've got an older PA 14 and still love it. Great choice. Have fun.
LDO10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Awesome choice! My next ride will be a PA14 if I'm still in CA next year.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
Rambo

common sense

PA14 or 12 would be Your best friend on water. You got the height and weight. Shoot I'm 5'9 185 lbs I load n unload the PA14 on my scion XB and move it around my yard for cleaning and storage. It'll be easier on your back and you can practically relax and stretch out to keep you fishing all day. It's the angler kayak "rolls Royce on water"
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Let me know

You will have to let me know what you think as far as the difference between the Revo and the PA. I too have a Revo. It's the only kayak I have ever known. What I do know is that it is small, even for me. No room on deck at all. But I find it challenging to even move the Revo around as far as loading and unloading. I am seriously thinking of buying a small skiff/bass boat. And if I considered a PA, then I may as well just buy the skiff. What do you guys think?

Janine

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
So I pulled the trigger today and got the new pa14. This thing has so many nice features. Already installed the gear tracks and mounted and wired FF . There was one problem with the 50/200-455/800 ducer fitting in the lowrance ready bay. But nothing a sawzall couldn't fix. I'll be fishing Sunday and it will be my first time being on a PA on the water. So stoked.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #13
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
You will have to let me know what you think as far as the difference between the Revo and the PA. I too have a Revo. It's the only kayak I have ever known. What I do know is that it is small, even for me. No room on deck at all. But I find it challenging to even move the Revo around as far as loading and unloading. I am seriously thinking of buying a small skiff/bass boat. And if I considered a PA, then I may as well just buy the skiff. What do you guys think?

Janine
I was in the same mind frame as you are right now before I bought my PA14. Then I started thinking about gas, registration, maintenance, and versatility. the PA14 requires no gas, no registration (unless you put on a motor), maintenance is minimal with special attention to metal components, and I can go to more places in my PA14 than a skiff. it'll take me longer, granted, but I feel safer in the kelp with my PA than a skiff
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #14
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:

Janine
I tossed the idea of a skiff around also. But I can't literally throw a skiff in the back of my truck and launch anywhere I want. I'm a kayak fisherman, for life. Janine, I felt the exact same way about the lack of room on deck for the revo. This PA I just bought has more than enough room, for anything you will ever need on a kayak. I'd go check one out. I haven't even been on the water yet, but I know I'm going to fall in love with kayak fishing all over again.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
PapaDave

Quote:

Janine
I would suggest trying a PA before making a decision. I've tried a Revo and have owned an Outback and while each has it's benefits, they don't beat a PA.

As far as moving a PA around, I started putting two sets of wheel on it, one in front and one in back, it was like pulling a wagon after that. These days I am really lazy though, since I have two PA's, one for a guest on those odd outings, I got a trailer and use that to move and launch them.

I am considering getting a boat though, not to replace the kayaks, but to taxi them farther up and down the coast.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
solyluna

Going to pull the trigger on pa14
Soon can't wait
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Ah the peer pressure.. must.. buy.. PA...
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
Loudog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Ah the peer pressure.. must.. buy.. PA...
X2
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Thanks boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I would suggest trying a PA before making a decision. I've tried a Revo and have owned an Outback and while each has it's benefits, they don't beat a PA.

As far as moving a PA around, I started putting two sets of wheel on it, one in front and one in back, it was like pulling a wagon after that. These days I am really lazy though, since I have two PA's, one for a guest on those odd outings, I got a trailer and use that to move and launch them.

I am considering getting a boat though, not to replace the kayaks, but to taxi them farther up and down the coast.
That's why I love this site! Food for thought. I like PapaDaves idea of buying the boat to take the kayak to different places!

Janine