Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
sdfishman

Fishing Halibut in San Diego Bay

Alright I fish south of the Coronado bridge 90% of the time. I've been fishing SI area recently with no luck. I'm used to fishing 4' to 15' of water. Now I'm fishing 10' to 50' of water. I have to say I have no idea what I'm doing. Mostly fishing scampis 3" to 5" swimbaits with 1/2 to 1oz heads. Any tips on drifting and jig placement? Looking to head out tonight and catch the incoming tide tonight..
sdfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfishman View Post
Alright I fish south of the Coronado bridge 90% of the time. I've been fishing SI area recently with no luck. I'm used to fishing 4' to 15' of water. Now I'm fishing 10' to 50' of water. I have to say I have no idea what I'm doing. Mostly fishing scampis 3" to 5" swimbaits with 1/2 to 1oz heads. Any tips on drifting and jig placement? Looking to head out tonight and catch the incoming tide tonight..
Way off subject of what your looking for, BUT is that your smart car kayak in your display pic?
If so I would be afraid of it flipping me over with the kayak on top haha
Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
sdfishman

Haha not my car just a pic I found on the net.. Buddy of mine has a Yaris I have been trying to get him to put his FnD on top.. Put it up to show him it could be done haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
Way off subject of what your looking for, BUT is that your smart car kayak in your display pic?
If so I would be afraid of it flipping me over with the kayak on top haha
sdfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Yakin

Quote:
Haha not my car just a pic I found on the net.. Buddy of mine has a Yaris I have been trying to get him to put his FnD on top.. Put it up to show him it could be done haha..
I honestly would be afraid to go over 50 or never go out with wind you know what I mean?
Well good luck on the info. on the Halis you want get any information out of me due to I haven't got my 1st hali yet
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
taggermike

There are halis all over SD Bay. But I have found they are tough to target exclusively with artificials. If you want to fish the plastics you need to keep them on or right near the bottom. This will require heavier jigheads than you might be using now for shallower water. Others can and do take legal halis with plastics but I have always done much better with live bait. I use an umbrella net or small sebiki to catch smelt and they have worked well for me in the south bay. Smelt match the hatch down there. I like a carolina rig for shallower water and a dropper loop for deeper. Smelt are pretty tough and don't require a great bait tank to keep alive. dont even bother with a pump, jst a pail of water in the tank every know and then. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
yakman619
HMFIC

Quote:
Let me know how it goes, man. I'm considering trying out Shelter Island next weekend....if I can pull myself away from LJ, lol.
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
fishinkid2010

I have been doing a lot of bay fishing lately, and as a matter of fact caught a legal Halibut today. Day before yesterday I caught two halibut, the biggest being 21". I have been having a ton of luck throwing an Alabama rig with white Mann's swimbaits. With 5 swimbaits its pretty heavy and I can fish it effectively fish it in up to 25' of water. Just look for any place with a sandy bottom!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Just had to share...

That's my wife's Beetle, with our Tandem.

Unfortunately, they don't make roof racks for my S14 (on the driveway), otherwise it would look even more entertaining!

Kayak: 13'
Beetle: 14'

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
thefisher

Nice kouki
thefisher is offline   Reply With Quote