Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Buying a hobie?

After looking into a few hobies im gonna start saving up so i can buy a hobie outback or revo 13 but i need some input from you guys. First off which yak is a better yak? I want something fast but stable and not hard to paddle. Im gonna be fishing harbors and the open ocean sometimes so its gotta handle some surf launching. And i see people always put the year their hobies are would an old one have a bad mirage drive or something? Seems pretty pricey for a new mirage drive at $500. So which model would you guys reccomend me to get and what would be a good price to pay for a rigged outback or revo 13 with a ff, turbo fins, upgraded rudder (is this really necassary), bait tank, rod holders, and all that good stuff? Im waiting for your input, thanks and tight lines
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
fishinkid2010

Personally I would recommend a Revolution. Stability will improve as you kayak more and become more experienced, your speed won't.
As for year, personally I would try and find something 2009 or newer since that's when they started using the click and go peddle system. (the older models with the cam's aren't bad, they're just a little more of a pain).
As for the accessories, you don't need a ton of stuff to be successful at kayak fishing. With that said you could always buy a brand other than a hobie and use the money you save to get those accessories. If you do buy a Hobie, you're going to spend more. But IMO some of those add ons are totally worth it. The FF and turbo fins are a must if you're going to be fishing La Jolla. The rest of the stuff you can get as your get more into the sport. Welcome, its an expensive habit!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

If the Outback was the right kayak for everyone ..........there would be no Revo and vise versa. Bigger guys, the Outback no question, but also what you want out of the kayak. I took the Outback to the lake the other day because it is VERY comfortable, you sit up a little higher and the seat is broader across. So if you are fishing stop and go from the start, comfort is more important than ease of movement. When I want to go ALOT of miles I skip the Revolution and go straight to the Adventure as it makes going the distance easy. The Turbo fins are worth their weight in gold and the sailing rudder is a cool tool drift fishing as well as making it more responsive and able to turn tighter. In rougher chop the Revolution is a much quieter ride.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
slobslayer

I'm in the same situation, I can't decide on revo or outback. Im coming from a tarpon 160 so I'm not worried about being unstable. I like the revo because of speed and it cuts through chop quietly. But I also like how comfortable the outback is. I wouldn't mind being able to stretch out and stand up in some situations. I didn't notice much difference in speed between the two boats. Is there a big difference? Anybody have any positives or negatives? Sorry for beating a dead horse...
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
DanaPT

I had the malibu x-factor. Switched to outback 2010. super stable and that's what I wanted foremost. I haven't stood on the outback, and I'm not sure I plan to. The outback isn't as stable as the Xfactor.

the peddle drive is sweet, cover a lot of ground in almost any type of condition easily.

Best upgrade to my equipment so far.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Thanks for the input guys, right now im only 5'7-5'8 and 153 pounds so i dont need something as big as an outback but im gonna test drive them both before i buy. But which one is more versatile? Like which one has more space to mount stuff like a couple scottys in the front with a fishfinder and a baittank in the backplus gear and storage and all?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

How fast do these things go anyway? Any faster than a paddle kayak?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Thanks for the input guys, right now im only 5'7-5'8 and 153 pounds so i dont need something as big as an outback but im gonna test drive them both before i buy. But which one is more versatile? Like which one has more space to mount stuff like a couple scottys in the front with a fishfinder and a baittank in the backplus gear and storage and all?
I got a Revo over a outback as the revo is more suited for covering distance at a steady pace for me, I tend to move around in searching patterns. I carry 4 rods and a bait tank fishfinder is mounted on the right side mesh pocket, transducer is wet mounted in the rear scupper hole. 3 plano boxes inside the hull and a Hobie deep gear bucket for snacks.The Revo is a little lighter and easier on my 18" guns at the end of the day when it comes time to load up. The most valuable upgrades for me were a good seat and a homemade a$$ pad!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I got a Revo over a outback as the revo is more suited for covering distance at a steady pace for me, I tend to move around in searching patterns. I carry 4 rods and a bait tank fishfinder is mounted on the right side mesh pocket, transducer is wet mounted in the rear scupper hole. 3 plano boxes inside the hull and a Hobie deep gear bucket for snacks.The Revo is a little lighter and easier on my 18" guns at the end of the day when it comes time to load up. The most valuable upgrades for me were a good seat and a homemade a$$ pad!
Ill probably get the revo too looks nice and will go fast with the turbo fins and sailing rudder. Anyone here with a gps know how fast they go with their mirage drive?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
steveooo

Quote:
But which one is more versatile? Like which one has more space to mount stuff like a couple scottys in the front with a fishfinder and a baittank in the backplus gear and storage and all?
They are both versatile. You will have no problem mounting fish-finder, other accessories, carry a bait tank, and still have plenty of storage in either yak. How you like each kayak should be the determining factor in which is the best.

Quote:
How fast do these things go anyway? Any faster than a paddle kayak?
They don't necessarily go much faster, but they will allow you to stay out longer than a paddle yak. Your quads are much stronger than your shoulders. You won't get tired as quickly. Being able to go farther and fish longer without getting fatigued= more fish. Hobies are also much easier to deal with when the wind kicks up. Next time there is a crowd fishing in the morning, looks who is still out fishing in the afternoon, or after a little wind kicks up.

I know Andy @ OEX Sunset Beach has demo yaks for both the Revo & the Outback. I'd go see him to take eack for a spin to see what is the best for you.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Ill probably get the revo too looks nice and will go fast with the turbo fins and sailing rudder. Anyone here with a gps know how fast they go with their mirage drive?
2mph just peddling 5 to 7 chasing birds based on the gps app on my phone.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Mongo Johnson

I often run a GPS fitness program when I go out. We do a lot of cruising in the bay and off in the kelp/LB harbor. I find the Revo 13', with my utterly svelt 250 lbs in it, will pedal comfortably at 3-4.5 mph in quiet in bay water or in the chop off the Oil Islands.

This is a akin to a walking pace you could keep up for a long while and would work for trolling or getting to some preferred fishing spot. You'd get there without being whooped.

This is with standard fins and 50 years under the hood. When I bought, I got advice to chill on Turbos and rudder and use the $ for finder and rigging. The ride is mobile, but I'd love to try the turbo fins.

The Revo does fine in chop, a little bow splash, but I don't have the experience to compare it to anything. Andy at OEX would be a good source for a comparo.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

With the help from you guys ill save up for a revo. But does the year of the mirage drive matter? Do these things brake easy or need replacement parts when bought or are they made to last? Any tips on what to look for in a used yak?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
jbaker

The turbo fins are a great up grade. Especially if your going outside of the bays. The sailing rudder is the best $25 I ever spent. It will keep the kayak tracking straight in a mixed swell. The outback has a bit too much hull slap for me and I love the speed of the revo. I would suggest looking in to the adventure also. It's a bit narrower than the revo and 3' longer. Then you could upgrade to an adventure island. Think about launching at shelter island and sailing out to the Coronado islands to fish! The amount of water the AI can cover is amazing.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
slobslayer

Thanks for all the input...just waiting for the right deal now. I'm over dragging around my 16' tarpon through my parents booby trapped garage at 4am alone in the dark. I'm leaning towards the outback because of size and stability. If the outback has turbo fins is it similar as far as speed to the revo? How is it in the wind? Wet, slappy?
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker View Post
The turbo fins are a great up grade. Especially if your going outside of the bays. The sailing rudder is the best $25 I ever spent. It will keep the kayak tracking straight in a mixed swell. The outback has a bit too much hull slap for me and I love the speed of the revo. I would suggest looking in to the adventure also. It's a bit narrower than the revo and 3' longer. Then you could upgrade to an adventure island. Think about launching at shelter island and sailing out to the Coronado islands to fish! The amount of water the AI can cover is amazing.
The adventure is nice but im worried about stability at 27" wide. It would be cool to sail off to catalina in one of those and camp there. Ill test drive that too if theres a demo available.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #17
Mongo Johnson

The forum at the Hobie website has a kayak section. There's some comparison threads.

And, google Revolution vs outback and there's lots and lots of conversations. Same with Adventure, especially on Hobie site.

Test drive is key. OEX Sunset Beach is right ON Huntington Harbor. An easy put in from Andy's shop.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Do these things brake easy or need replacement parts when bought or are they made to last? Any tips on what to look for in a used yak?
The drive needs to be maintained. washed, lubed and properly adjusted it will last.my sprockets did strip but it was a easy fix.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=15167

Steveooo did a good write up on how to rebuild it from the ground up

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=13592

For me the advantages of the drive out weight the maintance needs which are minimal

Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
MotoHero

Hands Free with redundancy!!

I would rather have two motors on my boat vs. only the one. Same goes for the kayak; pedal drive for Hands Free stuff and paddle to assist with speeds or compensate for wind. Certainly can't hurt to have both.

The Outback has a lot of room and the tips are close enough to guide my 6' poles around if a fish gets around the other side. The Revo was longer to fish around for my short stature.

Either would be fine if the deal is right.

Dwayne
MotoHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
Freddy4130
Junior

I have an Outback and my buddies have Pro Anglers and Revos. My Outback with turbo fins and sailing rudder smashes both other boats with factory fins. Here in South Florida, we have many flats areas to fish so I like to flatline a live bait on one rod and throw a lure with the other. I can stand and sight fish and my buddy with the revo really can't. I love being able to stand in my yak and cast the lures. Standing makes tossing the baits accurately a whole lot easier than while sitting.

On the other hand, I don't like the little tiny mesh pocket on the Outback.
Freddy4130 is offline   Reply With Quote