Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
zrbite

Looking for a Kayak

Never fished before but want to get into this sport and the only kayaking I've really done is on an inflatable one.

I'm looking for a pretty stable kayak, probably 31"+. Also would like the kayak to have flush mount rod holders and hatches. I also want to do lobster hooping, so a wider kayak would be helpful.

My price range is around the 400, 500 mark. Thanks.
zrbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Amish Ed

Here's a great deal.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Here's a great deal.
I second this. A Trident 15 for less than $600 is an insane deal

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
zrbite

Yea I was definitely considering that, but the length is way too long for me to store. I'm thinking in the 12' range or so. The width is also 29", and I'm really looking for something much wider.

I haven't found anything I wanted yet on current posts, so hoping someone new who isn't sure about selling might show up.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
OutdoorAdvntr

you can add stabilizer on both side.. the removable ones so it does not compromise the speed when paddling
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Don't let the width of the Trident scare you, trust me it's one of the most stable kayaks I have ever owned, unfortunately I have only owned the Prowler 15, same kayak a little older, and they are great. I can understand your storage issue but don't let the width scare you away.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrbite View Post
Never fished before but want to get into this sport and the only kayaking I've really done is on an inflatable one.

I'm looking for a pretty stable kayak, probably 31"+. Also would like the kayak to have flush mount rod holders and hatches. I also want to do lobster hooping, so a wider kayak would be helpful.

My price range is around the 400, 500 mark. Thanks.
As been noted here time and again, test paddle some to get a sense of how each one feels. Also you'll get a sense of how much harder a wider yak is to paddle.
Just because it's wide doesn't guarantee stability. Keel form and gunnel design have more to do with primary stability. Call OEX in SD to see what they have available to test paddle.
I also was concerned about stability when I bought my first yak but I found the wider ones MUCH harder to paddle due to their width.
In the 12' x 31" range I tried the Cobra F & D, and the OK Big Game, but (for me)I found I liked the Malibu Pro Explorer (12' x 31" wide) easier to paddle. But to each his/her own.
Just my .02.
Jimmy is right though, have read the OK Trident is very stabile despite it's narrow width. Would have been my next yak if I hadn't badly injured my back.
FFY.

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 11-30-2012 at 05:32 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
zrbite

OEX lets you take kayaks out for a test? I didn't know that. The same place that did the blem sale?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
kiyo21

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=16127

Check this one out i wold pick it up myself i just dont got the doll hairs right now
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
As been noted here time and again, test paddle some to get a sense of how each one feels. Also you'll get a sense of how much harder a wider yak is to paddle.
Just because it's wide doesn't guarantee stability. Keel form and gunnel design have more to do with primary stability. Call OEX in SD to see what they have available to test paddle.
I also was concerned about stability when I bought my first yak but I found the wider ones MUCH harder to paddle due to their width.
In the 12' x 31" range I tried the Cobra F & D, and the OK Big Game, but (for me)I found I liked the Malibu Pro Explorer (12' x 31" wide) easier to paddle. But to each his/her own.
Just my .02.
Jimmy is right though, have read the OK Trident is very stabile despite it's narrow width. Would have been my next yak if I hadn't badly injured my back.
FFY.
When I first got into this sport I was looking for the wide kayaks also for the extra stability, but with that you end up getting a heavier Kayak. All that has to be taken in to account. When I sold my first Prowler 15 I kicked myself, and still wish I had not sold it. Then I bought a Malibu X-factor and yes it was stable, but not as fast as the Prowler. I have never had an issue with feeling like I was going to roll, of tip over in the Prowlers, however I have paddled cobra, Tarpon, and Malibu kayaks and of all the Kayaks I've owned and paddled the most stable are the Malibu and Prowler or Trident kayaks.

As mentioned, before you buy go test paddle all the kayaks you have thought about and see which you like the best.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
www.piratekayak.com
Junior

Zrbite, go see Andy at OEX in Sunset beach he will hook you up.
www.piratekayak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
tacmik

Or, since you live in San Diego. Visit the OEX shop on Mission Bay. Much Closer, Same great co.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
zrbite

I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
zrbite

I am sort of considering the 2 kayaks now: Stealth 12 and Cobra Fish n Dive.

I will mostly be fishing in mission bay and la jolla shores area. I also will hoop for lobsters. Is the Fish and Dive really that much slower? I see one for $400 and wondering if I should pick it up or wait for the Stealth 12.

This will be my first kayak, so is it okay for the Cobra? I'm not even sure how much I'll get into fishing, since I've never done it, but so far it seems interesting. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrbite View Post
I am sort of considering the 2 kayaks now: Stealth 12 and Cobra Fish n Dive.

I will mostly be fishing in mission bay and la jolla shores area. I also will hoop for lobsters. Is the Fish and Dive really that much slower? I see one for $400 and wondering if I should pick it up or wait for the Stealth 12.

This will be my first kayak, so is it okay for the Cobra? I'm not even sure how much I'll get into fishing, since I've never done it, but so far it seems interesting. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
I'm going on record as another vote for the Ocean Kayak Prowler/Trident. I've fished on a FnD and it is stable, but sloowwwwwww. On my Trident 13, I almost took a dive once. But my hoops were full of what felt like the entire ocean floor (probably a seal or something).

Buying a slow kayak is handicapping yourself IMO. You're going to want to go out further as you learn the ropes. A slow kayak will only make you tired quicker. Stealths aren't bad. There's a lot of people on here who use them. Nothing against them personally, I just think that Ocean Kayak makes a better product out of the three.

You mentioned you don't know how in to fishing you'll get... This is the only reason I'd get a FnD. Otherwise, get something better. Remember, this sport is a money hole. So regardless, you're going to throw money at it as you go along.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Sdspeed

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/3443681381.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I dunno if you saw my post, but I have everything included in my x-13 I'll even throw in hoop nets. As long as you aren't huge (I'm 6'2 185 and have never had balance issues) its a great yak, as stable as the fat tandem I paddled before and much quicker.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
zrbite

After demoing the FnD, the speed was slow, but I'll need to demo another one to compare it to. As for stability, it was stable, but not like what the videos I see of people standing up and fishing. Standing up definitely requires a lot of balance.

I'll look into the prowler, trident as well to see how they are.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
MrPatrick

FND vs Trident

I've owned both and the Trident is a far superior kayak. The FND is ok in the surf but the Trident beats it hands down during landings. I'm a big guy at 5'9" and 250 lbs. And the Trident is stable in any type of sea or chop.
The FND tends to catch an edge in the surf zone and needs you to be very good about high bracing. It does fish great and is very comfortable. A good cadence in your paddle and it moves at a reasonable speed.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote