Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Oahu & Kauai 2008

Rental cars make great 4x4 vehicles...

Well, I had several offers to kayak fish, and speardive, but due to time constraints of Island hopping,
not to mention the airlines was tacking on $50 per extra bag, per flight. With 4 flights ~$200, the spearguns stayed home,
but I was able to put my snorkel gear in my suitcase. With 80º water, no need for a wetsuit.

We stayed in Ko Olina, Oahu from Fri through Mon, at a Condo/Resort with my sisters, and their respective husbands,
it was nice, they have several aqua lagoons with fish swimming around, I spent many days drinking Mai Tai's,
and swimming. My sister paid for ocean view, so we had nice sunsets each night...

Trish, and I went of off to Kauai alone, as the others stayed in Oahu, it was a nice short 20 min flight,
no time to order a drink! :x
Got to Kauai around 3pm, and settled into our beach house, about a block from the beach...
Had a little friend by the door... look closely...

Enjoying the eve susnet!

The next day we did some sight seeing... Headed to NE part of Island, the rain forest area...

dry caves...

wet caves...

Next morning met up with my cousin, who have been living in Kauai for about 30 years, he even speaks pigeon
with his wife, and kids, and everyone else we ran into on the island... "Brudduh" But they also speak CA english.
He has a Prowler, and Scupper Pro... I got the scupper :shock: I didn't flip, but I am about the biggest a person
should be, to paddle such a kayak...
He had some squid, and lures for me, as well as, spinning gear...
We had to follow him down a washboard road in my rental car... beautiful unspoiled, undeveloped land.

Finally, had to park, before soft sand, nice beach, in the winter 30ft waves...

Time to jump in the 4x4... yes, you can drive your truck on the beach, can you imagine that in CA, reminded me of baja, but tropical!
This was about a 10 mile stretch,
with a few families spaced out about every half mile...

Launched to small shore break...

Not much biting, but nice sights!

Was wishing I had snorkel gear, and a gun, we went over some awesome reefs, you could see the bottom at 50ft or more...

Saw a few turtles surface...

Trish enjoying the beach...

My cousin shore fishing for bone fish...

Wide open beach...

Got back to the house... btw, wild chickens, and roosters all over Kauai, they crow, and make noises all night!!!

My cousin, and his family came over, we cooked up some fresh fish (from the market) lol
With some Hawaiian punch, and delicious Ahi Poke...

Back to Oahu, for some more snorkeling, and relaxing by the pool...

Saw a turtle, and filmed it freediving...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=blZDNgBIz2s

A fun trip, Trish bugged me to hire a fishing charter, or scuba, but it was kinda nice to just to kick back and relax.

Aloha,
chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote