Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #21
Blabelfish
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
Glad I got out of there by 11, just barely missed sharknado 4

Got my forbidden fruit too
Nice. Passed right by you as you were hanging that guy. Circled the area and was bit ten minutes later.
Blabelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #22
Rufus

Laughing my ass off that people are worried about the shark they see and not the scores of bigger ones they don't see.

If the tourists dont understand that they are entering the food chain when they step into the surf, they shold go to Santee Lakes.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #23
TJones

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Unless a shark has attacked your kayak... probably not a good idea to make a big deal about a shark sighting on the beach. Unless of course your goal is to get the beach closed.

dumb asses.

Unless your the new guy , and don't want any of the other new guys fishing your honey hole . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #24
surfisher

Funny thing is if you check Surflines LJ Shores camera people are still in the water swimming, so it must not be enforced.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #25
TJones

What's with the grade at Lj ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Hold on, hold on...is that Tony's ice chest? Just how small were those tails baby killer?
Lots of skinnys. Did all the big ones move somewhere ? .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #26
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabelfish View Post
Nice. Passed right by you as you were hanging that guy. Circled the area and was bit ten minutes later.
I heard some cheering and talk on the radio and headed outside that big group of guys. Looked like a bunch of guys hooked up and saw a guy bleeding his fish. Thought I missed it and then a couple minutes later as I passed buzzzzzzzz.

Congrats on the catch!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #27
Zed
BANNED

Just saw the story w vid on ABC7 LA. Didn't appear to be any different than the dozen or so others seen cruising around for the last few months.
Mass hysteria.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #28
Seahunterr
Junior

Beach closed?

Thats crazy, sharks dont bite kayaks
Attached Images

Seahunterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #29
Zed
BANNED

Bluefish.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #30
Kink
Junior

So I'm the one that took that video. I was so stoked to see it since I have heard so many others on here have. We did not make a big deal about the shark at all. It followed us all the way in. We told a few other kayakers so they could come check it out. As we got closer to shore, there were a couple swimmers a few feet away from us, so my dad just let them know there was a hammerhead right here. They kind of freaked out when the shark swam right towards them. When we landed, we decided to not talk about it much so as to keep the hysteria from happening. One of the swimmers asked me to email him the video, so I said sure. Before I knew it, the lifeguards were interviewing me and watching the video. They said they had to follow protocol because the shark looked aggressive in the video, but I could tell they didn't want to go through the hassle. I couldn't believe they were actually going to do it either. We had no intention of making a big deal out of it. We were just happy to see it and have it around.

And we both caught YT. Good day for us. Bad day for people wanting to play in the water there.
Kink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #31
taggermike

I landed about 3 and was surprised to see no one in the water. A reporter asked me if I saw "the hammer head". She seamed surprised when I told her hammer heads have been stealing baits and bumping kayakers for months. I mean, who knew sharks lived in the ocean. I hope some f'n yahoos don't see the report and go a shark killing rampage. I saw a HH today and I thought it was a privilege to see such and awesome animal. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #32
mclanea

@kink - thanks for that. I was curious how the news got the video. I must have been stashing my gear when you landed.

I'm terrified of sharks but this whole thing is crazy.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #33
jorluivil

I just saw the video.............if that shark was aggressive than the one that bumped Tony last week needs to get the chair.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #34
govomit

One could imagine how the hysteria might develop:
La Jolla Shores Beach will be closed to kayak fishing activities until further notice. This (difficult) decision was taken to ensure beach safety.

govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #35
jorluivil

http://ktla.com/2015/08/29/hammerhea...a-jolla-beach/

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #36
skrilla

https://mobile.twitter.com/nbcsandiego

AND the video.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LibertyNB...679424/video/1

Cute little guy.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #37
619-SWIM-DOG

Sharks in the ocean again. Old news
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #38
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kink View Post
So I'm the one that took that video. I was so stoked to see it since I have heard so many others on here have. We did not make a big deal about the shark at all. It followed us all the way in. We told a few other kayakers so they could come check it out. As we got closer to shore, there were a couple swimmers a few feet away from us, so my dad just let them know there was a hammerhead right here. They kind of freaked out when the shark swam right towards them. When we landed, we decided to not talk about it much so as to keep the hysteria from happening. One of the swimmers asked me to email him the video, so I said sure. Before I knew it, the lifeguards were interviewing me and watching the video. They said they had to follow protocol because the shark looked aggressive in the video, but I could tell they didn't want to go through the hassle. I couldn't believe they were actually going to do it either. We had no intention of making a big deal out of it. We were just happy to see it and have it around.

And we both caught YT. Good day for us. Bad day for people wanting to play in the water there.
Glad you lived to tell your story. Welcome to the sport. you will come to know that sharks live in the ocean and will investigate fish slime guts and blood coming from your kayak. How many more sightings/video should we share with the people and life guards? Just maybe someone will put the "facts" together and determine kayak fisherman are drawing these beasts close to swimmers because of their dangerous activities.

Keep it up.... Launch closed maybe for 24 hrs 36 hrs or permanently next time?
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #39
bigbarrels

Old 08-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #40
ctfphoto

I actually scolded the lifeguards for closing the beach to a non aggressive animal who eats 8 inch mackerel.

They agreed with me and said the orders came from higher up .....
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote