Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
yakaholic
Junior

Central Cali WSB limit!!! 7/28

Fished with Jonathan (toadstoadsonly) a couple weeks ago up north and watched him catch a couple pigs while I did some long distance catch and releases-farmed more than I'd care to admit...

Eager to get my revenge and unable to go out last weekend, I headed up solo early Saturday and launched at gray light. Short peddle to the squid grounds and made some squid and had lines in the water a little after 6am.

Got picked up on a fly lined squid around 6:30 and farmed it, frustrated but determined I set my lines out again. Not 5 minutes goes by and I'm picked up again and put the steel to it. After a 15 minute sleigh ride I gaff a nice WSB (not sure on the weight, I'll get to that later).

Retie and peddle back to the area toss out my bait and within 10 seconds I'm on again! This one put up a bit more of a fight and after about 20 minutes I sink the gaff into a NICE pig! STOKED! My first time landing multiple WSB on the kayak! Took a picture of both fish-one fish on my lap and one fish under my legs and shot out some texts-hahaha!

Relaxed for a bit and cracked a beer and watched some others get pulled around, what an amazing day! Met another kayaker-Marco-and he took a picture of me with the biggest fish-thanks if you're reading this!

After a bit, I retied and peddled back to the area and the bite slowed down a bit. Hung around for a couple hours waiting to fill my limit and got picked up but broke off-felt like a big fish but oh well, I already had 2 and was smiling ear to ear. Retied and about 10 minutes goes by and I'm on again and stuck another pig. AMAZING!

Now I had a unique problem, where do I put all of these fish??? Well, I ended up tying them off and dragged them in. Marco, who I had met earlier was on the beach already and helped me on the landing-thanks again! Everything went fine it seemed and jumped into the water and noticed the line snapped holding the fish. I was able to grab the other end of the rope but only had 2 fish on there. We searched the surf thinking it would wash up but it never did-waited over an hour but never did come in. Felt bad but at least it was the smallest of the 3.

Hopefully the pics come out, all taken on cell phone camera. The biggest was a little over 53 inches and 52lbs on the bathroom scale and the other was just over 50 inches and 46lbs. Can't wait to get back out!
Attached Images

yakaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

speechless....congrats....
Old 07-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
toadstoadsonly

Congrats Jim, when I heard my phone go off in the morning I already knew you got into them good. Those long trip solo missions are never easy, especially dragging almost 100lbs of fish up the hill, so whats up you going to take a day off this week and we will go slay them again? I just caught my limit yesterday and I am still itching to take a day off and go slay them again.
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
blitzburgh

DUUUUUDE!!!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Aaron&Julie

That is awesome. Congrats.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
yakaholic
Junior

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Jonathan, man I wish I could take a day off this week but way too much going on at work...you're not kidding on how tough it is dragging those pigs up the hill, almost threw up again from exhaustion! hahaha! Don't think I could have carried the extra fish.
yakaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Jonesyak

Dang just read Jonathan and your posts back to back, two awesome fishing stories!

Where are you guys lanuching from?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
jpness
Junior

nice job on some really nice fish! is this the sb bite that went off of is this further north?
jpness is offline   Reply With Quote