Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Lit-up1

10-1- LJ PM

4:00 launch through no surf. Water has warmed a little and plenty of bait out there. I never saw and big fish, but I went inside to drop my hoops well before sunset and saw lots of bird activity outside the kelp on the spot. I caught a mix of spanish, greenies and cuda and should have kept more since I ran out of bug bait later.
I hooped about 15 shorts and one legal and two moray eels :shock:
I also had something very big in my hoop on the bottom and it was clearly alive and not wanting to come up. Of course I had to try and pull whatever it was up and almost got pulled in. :shock:
May try the same drill tonight--

Dave
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Dennis

Dave,
What time did you come back in? I'd like to hoop out there also, but I don't know about doing the 2300 to 0400 shift.. What was in your hoop that didn't want to come up?
Thanks for the report, Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Lit-up1

Dennis,
I launched 4:00 pm and went straight out past the yellow buoy and caught some bait. I could have stayed out longer before going to the area I dropped the nets, but if it's the first time you are going hooping it's a good idea to scope the area out-get the feel of where the reefs and kelp are-pick a spot and toss the hoops over then go catch some calico's in the area as the sun goes down. Check the nets and if you catch alot ,stay in that spot. After the sun goes down stay close the spot you want and using glow sticks is not necessary, but will help. Bring a back-up light even if it's a cheap flashlight.
Whatever I had in the hoop I noticed this morning had torn some of the netting in the bottom of my hoop- :shock: probably an eel.
A heard today a good idea is to use a PVC pipe with holes in it-cap the end.
See you out there--
Dave
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
Dennis

Thanks Dave.. That's some good information. I hooped Shelter Island lastnight. Just to get a feel of pulling the hoops out of the water, on my kayak. But, I know it would be a lot difficult with bugs, eels, and crabs. Thanks again,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote