Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
Dennis

LJ 10/01 am

Still no fishies.. Launched at 0430. I thought there was going to be a lot of kayak hoopers.. Only saw two.. Tiny waves, light wind out of the south, water temp 64, water vis. 15ft. Trolled, tossed irons, and yo-yoed with nothing to show... My friend at least caught some kelp rockfish.. No other action.. Landed at 1030 to 1ft waves and lots of leopards...
late,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
kurt

Have worked way too much recently, so was barely able to drag myself out of bed at 5:30AM. Tiny waves. Lots of spanish roughly 40-50 ft. deep past the reserve buoy. Pretty foggy and overcast early in the morning.

Jetski Jim came over and was kind enough to deliver a couple of greenbacks to me. I forgot to tip, but thanks again. Pinned on a 10" greenie and trolled out towards the NW corner, where I ran into Brad. We were talking when my clicker zzzinged for just a second. Reeled in the bait, which looked good still, and threw it back out. It must have landed right in front of a fish, because about one second after it hit the water, the line was ripping out. Gave him a nice long time to eat and fish on. The fish made a wrong turn and headed out towards deeper water. After a roughly 10 minute battle, this nice one joined me for dinner tonight.

Got picked up one other time, but didn't stick. Fished the ling cod spot for no takers. On the way in the sun came out and it turned into a gorgeous day. Sardines were being chased all over the surface by greenbacks and spanish, and I saw some small barracuda's going airborne. Saw a few decent size boils, but couldn't get anything but macks on the surface iron.
Wind started picking up around 1PM, and headed in.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Dennis

Oops... I was wrong.. Fishies for Kurt . Nice going. I saw Brad and was going to give him a holla, but I forgot my radio in the car. Good job again, Kurt..
-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Excellent Kurt!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
bdkirby

Send a message via AIM to bdkirby Send a message via Yahoo to bdkirby
Way to go man

That's a beauty during these seemingly draught-like fishing conditions

Congrats
Old 10-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
Corey

Way to go Kurt. Work's been kicking my ass too, but next week is looking wide open. It's been too long....

corey
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
madscientist

Here's your pic Kurt. Sorry it took me a while to get it posted.

After you split a spot of yellows came up where you had called me in. Had one strong run-off on the greenie that Mr. H kindly provided but it came unbuttoned after 30seconds. Saw a couple on the surface but couldn't get them to stick. Did have a keeper ling in the morning, he was delicious in a champagne sauce.

Sunday I went to the pier for bait since Sat it seemed that the greenies were essential. Sardines and greens were moving around with schools of baby lizards. Got a few of all three and headed to the corner. Also got this maczilla. Wow.

Saw one surface disturbance on my way over but by the time I was in iron range it was gone. Long story short, nothing but a couple of short ling and lots of frustrating bottom hang ups/break offs. Wind built early, then died down. Usual Sunday idiots out in force. I definitely think the Sunday pber crowd is worse than the Sat crowd, seems like a higher moron quotient. I think I had a run in with a grown up psychopup. In fact, I think he remembers me because he wouldn't leave me alone, though he didn't steal my bait. No sign of tail.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
kurt

Thanks for the pic, Brad. Sorry that you didn't get that strong runoff to stick. It certainly seemed like it could have broken wide open in the afternoon when the surface water warmed. Maybe just not too many YT around right now. I'm still confident that there will be many more caught in the coming weeks.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #9
vellocity

nice one Kurt!! keeping the season alive in La Jolla!!

hey Brad, clip the back tail on that Greeniezilla and give him a slow troll! at that size i'd say let 'um eat it for 5 min, or until your spool empties out, whatever comes first!!! :shock: haha! gotta run a 2 trap hooks for that size bait!

you guys need to fish Wed Am, Andy's gonna let me borrow the fish'ndive! i gotta get out there somehow!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Nelz, I sold the Fish n Dive on Saturday. I think I'll have you in the Extreme and I will paddle the Prowler.

IT AIN'T OVER!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
Nelz, I sold the Fish n Dive on Saturday. I think I'll have you in the Extreme and I will paddle the Prowler.

IT AIN'T OVER!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i don't think i want to do this to you.. in fact, i KNOW i don't..... if anything, i'll ride your wifey's one and you ride YOUR ride..
would be honored, but don't wanna stink your mojo..

i may have to go to LA wed, so i'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.
thanks Andy!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote