Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
dmr

Carlsbad Lobster 10-2

I had a much better time than my opening night trip. I launched near the power plant at 6:30pm. The surf was bigger than a few days ago, with a mixed swell around 2-4 feet. I made it out with no problems. I dropped three hoop nets in 15-20 feet of water and drifted/paddled around for 30 minutes. During the waiting period I began to feel a little sea sick and decided to that one pull of the nets was all I was going to do.

The first net had nothing. I tossed into the back of the yak and paddled over to the second net. This one was heavier. I pulled it near the surface and saw some eyes glowing back at me. The net had four lobster in it. This made me forget about my sea sickness. Two were short and two were legal. I bagged the legals and tossed the hoop net in the back on top of the other.

By now I had drifted past my third net. I paddle up current and quickly pulled my last net. Two more legals in the bag. I secured the nets, stowed my fishfinder and bag of bugs in the front hatch and paddle back towards my car.

The surf was now larger and it was too dark to really see the incoming sets. I waited for a while and paddled hard towards shore after a larger wave passed me. I looked over my shoulder and another was gaining on me fast. I got turned sideways and tried to brace into the wave and ended up getting tossed forward for a very wet landing. I was back on the beach at 8:30pm. With four legal lobster I didn't mind the wet landing.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
fishinhb

Great job on the lobstas! How'd you manage to keep the hoops intact during the wet landing? Were they secured down somehow in the back?

Thanks for the replyin advanced!

Hoop it up!

fishinHB
Ron Pascual
fishinhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
dmr

I had them bungeed into some eyelets. I should have done a better job securing them near the stern. i was too lazy and just had them connected behind the seat. They ended up hanging off the side, but still securely attached.

Derek
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote