Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
bdkirby

Send a message via AIM to bdkirby Send a message via Yahoo to bdkirby
LJ 10/03 10AM-7PM

Making bait was slow. I almost nabbed my first chovy around 1030 but much to my disappointment he flopped off the sabiki right next to the yak. At around 2PM I finally got into a school of spanish macs after working some plastics for nada. Fill the bait tank and tried slow trolling a fly lined mac for nada. I didn't see much surface action so I decided to try the bottom thick in the kelp. That was the ticket, hooked up on a shorty Ling at 22". Tried again, hoping to interest his big brothers in some mac snacks but no luck. At around 5PM I went down to the edge of the canyon and rigged up for some rockfishing. Caught a few dink rockies and headed in around 6:30. When I got to the edge of the surf, I sat there to time the sets not noticing that I had missed the big ones and had drifted in halfway on the shorties. Much to my susprise the first big one of the set came rushing in behind me. Paddle!!! Paddle!!! I thought to myself only to feel the next bigger wave rush me from behind. The nose of the yak dove deep as it surfed down that nice little wave and catupultedme into the drink. Wet landing to say the least.

Last trip I took was on the 28th. I dropped my $100 shimano/abu garcia combo in 17ft of water and when I went in after the water was so cold I couldn't get a 17ft deep breath I needed to swim to it. And all that for nada. Not a bite all day. Rod Leashes rule. Still can't bring myself to use those blasted hinderances.