Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Kayak805
Junior

Waterproof camera recommendations

I'm looking to buy a decent waterproof and shock resistant camera. Still shots are my first priority and motion video second. Any recommendations from those of you who own one?
Kayak805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Chuck D

I have the Olympus stylus 1030w. Great camera, its waterproof shock resistant and can take underwater videos and photos. I have tested this camera repeatedly and had no issues whatsoever (submerged for long periods in saltwater, no problem). Picture quality it good, not amazing but def good enough. 10 MP is plenty for me, video works great too. Hope this helps.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
jasonb

ive been looking for an underwater camera as well. First looked at Panasonic since my regular camera is a Panasonic and I like it a lot. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B003960F8Y
A friend recommended this one from Olympus. http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1497

I haven't bought one yet but those are the 2 i'm looking at. I'm sure you can find a cheaper model of these that isn't good for 30+ feet deep but Im looking for a camera to take snorkeling/diving so needed something good for over 10'
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Kayak805
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
I have the Olympus stylus 1030w. Great camera, its waterproof shock resistant and can take underwater videos and photos. I have tested this camera repeatedly and had no issues whatsoever (submerged for long periods in saltwater, no problem). Picture quality it good, not amazing but def good enough. 10 MP is plenty for me, video works great too. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the recommendation. Much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Kayak805
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
ive been looking for an underwater camera as well. First looked at Panasonic since my regular camera is a Panasonic and I like it a lot. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B003960F8Y
A friend recommended this one from Olympus. http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1497

I haven't bought one yet but those are the 2 i'm looking at. I'm sure you can find a cheaper model of these that isn't good for 30+ feet deep but Im looking for a camera to take snorkeling/diving so needed something good for over 10'
Thanks for the info. Looks like a little more homework is needed. That's half the fun.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you just want something to protect your camera during an outing on the water, there are some waterproof cases that work fairly well. You can get them to fit many cameras at a fraction of the cost of a fully waterproof camera.

Is the camera as easy to use in the bag, probably not but the feature set on most waterproof cameras is pretty minimal. If you have a camera that you like but want to protect it while on the water, this may be something to consider.

Here is a link to a typical waterproof case on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Wat.../dp/B0027HRXBI
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Anthony179
A.T.

I bought the Optio W80 a few months ago. It works good.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Kayak805
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
If you just want something to protect your camera during an outing on the water, there are some waterproof cases that work fairly well. You can get them to fit many cameras at a fraction of the cost of a fully waterproof camera.

Is the camera as easy to use in the bag, probably not but the feature set on most waterproof cameras is pretty minimal. If you have a camera that you like but want to protect it while on the water, this may be something to consider.

Here is a link to a typical waterproof case on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Wat.../dp/B0027HRXBI
My daughter basically "borrowed" my Canon digital so it looks like I'll need to get myself a camera anyway. What is it about daughters anyway?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
m1k3midg3

put your camera in a condom then tie up the end.
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3midg3 View Post
put your camera in a condom then tie up the end.
Have not found a big enough one yet!
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
bigbarrels

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1496

This is the one I use for the kayak.......299.00 and waterproof to 16 feet rather than 33 feet for 100.00 less......HD video is great but just wished it could take in a wider angle picture/video (like the GoPro)
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Mad Daddy
Father of two

Just came back from Costco and they have the Olympus on sale for $179 and a fuji 12mp for $159
Mad Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Daddy View Post
Just came back from Costco and they have the Olympus on sale for $179 and a fuji 12mp for $159
Which Olympus model ? That's REAL cheap for an Olympus waterproof!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Mad Daddy
Father of two

Do not remember the model but it was a 10mp, 5ft drop shock proof, 15ft water proof and freeze proof to ?? degrees, comes with a case and a 1gb card and 100 free costco prints. It is called Stylus Tough and was blue in color. I want to say I remember seeing 6000 but don't hold me to that. It was normal priced at $199 with an $20 instant rebate until 8/31/10. I was in the Chino Hills Costco and they had several of them.

Last edited by Mad Daddy; 08-09-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added info
Mad Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
KirkG.

I have the Olympus 770sw, it came out a couple years ago. I have had it in my vest pocket for most of the time and its still going strong. Takes good pictures and hasnt had any problems with the water or being bumped around in my vest pocket.

I was at Best Buy last week and saw the new version of the camera and it looks great. It takes pictures and video, is water resistant and crush resistant to about 220lbs.

I like mine but might be upgrading to the new one soon

KirkG.
KirkG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
rogersmith

anyone like the Canon Powershot D10?
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmith View Post
anyone like the Canon Powershot D10?
I tried the D10 but decided to pass and get a Panasonic ZS1. This model has been replaced with some new versions that also shoot HD video. Mine just does standard video. The Panasonic is not waterproof but is a far superior camera in terms of the feature set. Its 25mm to 12X zoom is really nice.

The Canon is a point and shoot with limited zoom and minimal manual options. If you just want a durable camera to take typical snapshots in wet conditions, the canon would be a good choice. If you like to get a bit more creative with your photos, you should look elsewhere.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
If you like to get a bit more creative with your photos, you should look elsewhere.

Bob
like an DSLR.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkG. View Post
I have the Olympus 770sw, it came out a couple years ago. I have had it in my vest pocket for most of the time and its still going strong. Takes good pictures and hasnt had any problems with the water or being bumped around in my vest pocket.

I was at Best Buy last week and saw the new version of the camera and it looks great. It takes pictures and video, is water resistant and crush resistant to about 220lbs.

I like mine but might be upgrading to the new one soon

KirkG.
+1 I have the 720sw, about 4 years old, still going strong, the battery even still works for a full days pics (barely, time to replace soon). Any of the Olympus SW models are great, just remember to use the shutter button correctly and read the manual, it works more like a high-end camera vs. simple point-n-shoot, you have to hold half-way, let the AF work, then finish the button press once focused to take the pic. If you rush it, or use the wrong mode in low light you will get blurry pics. Even takes decent video. I've taken this camera everywhere, dropped it dozens of times, dented it, everything short of running it over and it keeps on clickin...
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote