Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
MrM

Hackers...

Alright, someone's trying to force their way in to the boards from Colombia... Just got this in my email, tracked the IP and that's what I got. If your password is weak, change it up.

Dear MrM,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 181.48.199.166

All the best,

Last edited by MrM; 03-10-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
MrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Sir LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Alright, someone's trying to force their way in to the boards from Colombia... Just got this in my email, tracked the IP and that's what I got. If your password is weak, change it up.

Dear MrM,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 181.48.199.166

All the best,
How do you track down the location??
Sir LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
MrM

Google "ip lookup", or "whois". Either will point you in the right direction.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
fishbait
Junior

Happened to me today too. Mine was from China!
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
easyday

They hate us cuz they ain't us.....they see how good of a year of fishing we have had are jealous. I'm sure that's the case.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Little Punks!

I bet they like seals, trying to ban lead and expand MLPA zones....lets get em ! Who's with me ?
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 AM   #7
Cbad Mike

Nothing exciting ever happens to me.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
Tandem Assassin

Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post

Dear MrM,

All the best,

Got one last night as well:

Mar 10 at 7:23 PM

Dear Tandem Assassin,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 117.166.108.63

All the best,
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #9
Fishin' Magician

I received that same message last week. Not sure why someone would want to try and access our accounts. Are they that anxious to leave a post on our message board about the fishing in China, etc...? )
Old 03-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #10
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Hacks

Me too, my mac ended up at the apple store last sat. because it wouldn't accept any password entered from me, so I couldn't log in. Apple guy fixed it for free but said I picked up a bot that was embbeded in a web site I had visited.He didn't say what web site but said its very commom. It happened right after I recieved that same e-mail from BWE saying someone is trying to log in to my account. ??? I'm not a computer guy so I have no idea whats really going on, it is strange that the order in which all this is happening, considering I've never had a problem with this computer in the 5 years since I bought it.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
3:40 am last night they tried mine. Make your password strong. After 5 attempts they get locked out. But how do they attack BWE?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Yes. Lately, there's been an increase of apparent random login attempts. Spam bots have been trying to log on to forums using existing usernames, and trying random passwords.

So, once again - make sure you set a strong password on your account!

That stands for your login here on BWE, as well as any other place on the internet where you have a login account. Your password should be a non-dictionary word, at least 8 (or more!) characters long, a combination of uppercase +lower case + a number or a special character. That is the best password practices that ought to keep you safe.

While we have a full control of our forum, and we're keeping it as safe as it can be - we do not have a control over the internet. Usernames on internet forums are public domain information - passwords aren't.

These are the random bot login attempts, not humans. I can tell as these 5 random login attempts happen within 1 second.

We have security measures in place to temporarily lock out user's account after 5 unsuccessful login attempts. That's that email you guys see - automatic email from the forum gets fired out informing you about that. And that pretty much stops the bot in it's tracks.... for 15 minutes, when it moves on and tried to hack in another user account. The chance of random password guessing routine the bot is using guessing your password in 5 unsuccessful login attempts that's all the forum will allow is rather tiny, if existent at all.

We'll look into way to stop this all together. We may start hiding usernames, blocking some countries where the spam bots seem to be out of control all together (China, Russia, etc.)

So - not too big of a deal, as it is.
With a strong /complex password in place, really not much to worry about.

Hope this clarifies the things.