Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
quilicaw
The Professor

Advice Ketchikan Southern Southeast Alaska

Hi all,

I need some advice. I am going to Ketchikan Alaska in August. I will fish with a guide for two days. The rest of time we will be driving around and exploring. I want to get a travel rod that will handle the big salmon and trout i might find in the rivers and creeks while exploring.

Anyone been up there and have a rod recommendation for me? Spinning or casting?

Thank you
quilicaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #2
walrus

I was in Ketchican in may, talked with a couple of people about fishing the area. All the guides have gear "the right stuff", I'd suggest you used what they provide.

Can't tell you much about the guides, that's something I'd have to research before going back. After you get back let us know how it went.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Mahigeer

I was there in August as well. However, it was in 2001.

I got a one day fishing permit at a local hardware store for $10.00. They neglected to tell me about no treble hook regulation.

First I was casting from the water level at the marina and 90 to the bridge. The pink salmon run was on and I snagged a few. Later I moved to the bridge and caught many salmons.

My relative described the scene the best; “there is fish and some water in between it”.

There is a place (45 min. walk from the bridge) that would process the fish and send it home to you. Sorry name escapes me, but it had a fishing lodge next to it.

It rained for 10 min. then sunshine for 10. Then rain again.

As for tackle whatever you are comfortable will work. Less chance of bird’s nest with spinning reels.
A steelhead rod should be a minimum. Use a pink jighead with pink feathers, though other lures may work too. #50-60 braid with #15-20 flou. leader.

Good luck and please post.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 06-16-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
grey zone

I have not been to Ketchikan but I travel to the state a couple of time a year and always bring rods. I would recommend 2 piece spinning rods in the 12-20 lb. or 10-17 rating. Fenwick and TFO make some nice rods that are not to expensive. I like long rods for casting and 2 piece 9 footers are no problem in my 56" carry-on rod tube. My tube usually fits in the back of an overhead and if it doesn't a flight attendant will find a spot for it. A 3500 size spinning reel with 30-50 spectra will work fine. I use a very short 15-20" fluorocarbon leader from 12-20 lb. test. Bring an assortment of Blue Fox Vibrax spinners in the #3-5 size, pink is the most popular color.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
captnblood34

Sorry, no free advice here. I WILL however gladly come with you on your dime and tell you whatever you want to hear!

Good luck

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
quilicaw
The Professor

Thank you

Thanks guys. You rock
quilicaw is offline   Reply With Quote