Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

Hook Em and Cook Em April Submissions

Hook Em and Cook Em April Submissions

Post em here. Must have 1 photo showing what you harvested, also must show at least a part of your kayak. Second photo is what you prepared. Aside from the 2 required photos you can add whatever you want, video, recipe, story behind the catch or the dish. These have to be current to the month of April.

This goes through the end of the last day of April and voting will follow from May 1-3. Winner will be announced May 3rd at 10PM.You can only win this contest one time, but within the month you can submit as many times as you like. Raise the bar, then raise it again!

Last edited by Iceman; 05-05-2014 at 09:30 AM.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
MrM

Alright, I'm not a gourmet chef by any means, but these were good.

Cut fish into strips, and marinate with a chili powder & lime mix. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes in the fridge, then throw some bread crumbs on the strips. Cook at 450* for 15-20 minutes. Add tartar sauce or sour cream, cheese, more lime juice, and enjoy!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I call this dish MrMmmm
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I call this dish MrMmmm

Haha! Nicely done.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

Batter up

100lb bat ray will work up an appetite

Smoked bat ray
Battered and fried bat ray
Smoked bat ray croquettes

Hookem ill cookem

GETERDONE
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
roadx

Simple Fish n Chips

all purpose flour, home made IPA beer, 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda.
mix to pancake batter consistency.
russet potatoes thinly sliced and cooked in olive oil. BayPark Fish Co stlye

Full report Here
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=21632

Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
dmrides

Like most any fish, if properly taken care of after the catch rockfish is delicious; it is delicate and soaks up flavors really well. I treat my rockfish just like I treat a prize yellowtail. I bleed them immediately, keep them out of the sun and ice them for at least 24 hours before I filet them. You might think this is overkill for rockfish, but trust me if you give it a try, you will be surprised by the results. Plus you get cleaner filets with no blood.

Anyway, this load of reds and flag fish was winched up during the Rockfish Derby. My on the water shot is not very good, but since it is required for the submission, here it is…

For the most part, fishing was slow but eventually I found the right honey hole and limited out with some decent sized fish. Enough to donate some for the fish fry and still take home enough for 3 good meals with family and friends.

First was baked filets topped with avocado and tomatoes with a side of Mexican green beans.
*Sprinkle some good sea salt, fresh ground pepper and chili powder on the filets. I put the filets on a grilling rack on a cookie sheet and bake it at 450 for about 10 minutes.
*For the tomatoes, slice up some grape tomatoes, cilantro, sweet onion, jalapenos and squeeze in some lime juice. Add seasoning to taste and mix.
*Cut the green beans into 1.5” segments and sauté with diced onions, and garlic. Remove from pan and combine with cilantro, sea salt and lime juice.
*Lay the baked filets on a plate, top with sliced avocado and tomatoes, toss some green beans next to the fish, some rice if you want and there you have it!

Second was grilled filets topped with lemon, rosemary and shallots with broccoli and rice.
*Lay the filets out on tin foil (if you left the skin on, you don’t need the tin foil), sprinkle with some good sea salt, fresh ground pepper, then add thinly sliced shallots, lemons and rosemary. Get the grill really hot and place the fish off the flames and cook using indirect heat.
*Get some nice broccoli florets from the farmers market and sauté with shallots.
* I like to remove the lemons and rosemary that was on the grill before I serve it.

And finally, the grilled whole flag fish; no matter how you prepare it, this is so damn good it is not even funny. If you have never grilled whole rockfish, you have to give it a try, especially the flag fish.
*Melt butter and stir in fresh chopped parsley, lemon zest and salt.
*Heat the grill up really hot.
*Score the fish, scale it if you want and then spread butter mixture inside the fish and put olive oil on the skin so it doesn’t stick to the grill. I like to add salt and pepper to the skin as well.
*Cook fish on indirect heat, turning once. It takes about 15-25 minutes depending on the size of the fish.
*If by chance you have some Hamachi Kama lying around, you can prepare it the same way.
*I like to grill some garlic bread to go along with this as well.

Well, that's it, the fish is gone. Rockfish three ways and no tacos!
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

Rockfish look good........the presentation IS important...nice job DM.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

rockfish: more than just a tac

Being blessed with an abundance of quality rockfish this season, I've had my fill of tacos. Time to think outside the box and get a little creative.

First the on the water shot.......

this is from a few months back but it will come into play today as well.......

My recipe is an Apple smoked rockfish bisque.

Let's start this recipe off chronologically with the stock. This was made by boiling down the remains along with some vegetables, after a delicious lobster dinner.

Ok, freeze that stock in a freezer bag and jump to today. Actually last night. The first step to a good smoked fish is a good brine. For mine I used a quart of apple juice, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup seasalt, pressed garlic, Black pepper, crush red pepper, paprika and a dash of worchestershire sauce.

Mix all ingredients in a Tupper ware and completely submerge your filet over night. About 12 hours tops. Remove from brine and pat dry with a paper towel. Hang filets on smoking racks and let dry at room temp for 1 hour till tacky to the touch.

I like smoking fish with applewood. I like a more mild sweeter flavor but feel free to use whatever flavor fuel you prefer. For this recipe I soaked my applewood for a half hour in apple juice.

I use an electric smoker and like to preheat and get the smoke going about a half hour before adding the fish.

fast forward 2 hours......Delicious, smokey goodness.

Now for the bisque. This is a basic recipe I've been using that is very easy to make and remember.

Ingredients:
NT1/4 cup butter
(1/2 stick)
1 cups thinly sliced leeks
1/2 chopped yellow onion
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 quart lobster stock
1 pound smoked rockfish
2 cups stewed tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 cup cream
1 cup milk
Pinch black pepper
Pinch crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (optional)
Salt to taste

melt butter in medium stock pot on medium heat then add your leaks, onion and mushrooms. Simmer till onions turn clear.

Add tomatoes, herbs, fish, lobster stock and seasonings. Reduce heat and simmer on low to evenly heat all ingredients.

In a separate bowl mix your flour, milk and cream.

Wisk until evenly mixed. Add flour mixture to stock pot.

Simmer for another 5 minutes then kill the heat. A good immersion blender is handy to puree your bisque but I used the good old stand up blender.

Return the bisque to the stock pot on low heat to keep warm while prepping your bowl and garnish.

Dress it up with a few crumbles of smoked rockfish, a sprig of dill, some black pepper and voilX! Your favorite chardonnay and you're good to go.

sorry for the long winded post. Hope you enjoyed it!

Note: if you want some texture and are into more of a chowder, you can reserve a portion of it before blending then add it back in, or skip the blending all together.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21

Last edited by William Novotny; 04-22-2014 at 07:24 PM.
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
octico

Damn that looks good Will. Gonna give that a try next time out.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
jsunmkly
Jason

Awesome recipe! Thanks, William!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
ust have 1 photo showing what you harvested, also must show at least a part of your kayak.
Sorry but............There are 2 DQ, unless you can fix em. ChristLike and Road X
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Moderator View Post
Sorry but............There are 2 DQ, unless you can fix em. ChristLike and Road X

rules are rules! maybe next time I'll have a picture including the kayak.
some good entry's to compete with. good luck
Old 04-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
rhyak

Fried Gills

Ok RedEar and bluegill on tap and ill fish for them because on 2lb test they are a blast. Plus they taste great I can fillet a limit of these pretty darn quick these 10 took about 5 -10 minutes. Clean up takes longer.

Either way start by digging in the garden for fresh red worms, I have a plethera after releasing about 50-100 last year and now one shovel will get me well over 50 worms of all sizes, wont have to buy worms again anytime soon.

Head to the lake and find a spot holding the fish can be the hardest part some days I talked to over a dozen guys looking for them yesterday and only one other guy and myself were able to find them.

Second tip hold on tight to these slimmy guys, they will jump ship.

The loot which I cooked up 5 of them tonight for the lady and I and YUM YUM

The important part and bulk of it, this is what I use for 5-10 fillets, 1 cup of Flour, 1/2 + cup of Corn Meal, creole seasoning, and Garlic Salt seasoning to preference.

Nice size fillets for the pan fry, I like to soak in milk and worcestershier sauce with pepper for a couple hours before.

The finished product light yet taste great and goes well with any cold beer.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Ok RedEar and bluegill on tap and ill fish for them because on 2lb test they are a blast. Plus they taste great I can fillet a limit of these pretty darn quick these 10 took about 5 -10 minutes. Clean up takes longer.

Either way start by digging in the garden for fresh red worms, I have a plethera after releasing about 50-100 last year and now one shovel will get me well over 50 worms of all sizes, wont have to buy worms again anytime soon.

Head to the lake and find a spot holding the fish can be the hardest part some days I talked to over a dozen guys looking for them yesterday and only one other guy and myself were able to find them.

Second tip hold on tight to these slimmy guys, they will jump ship.

The loot which I cooked up 5 of them tonight for the lady and I and YUM YUM

The important part and bulk of it, this is what I use for 5-10 fillets, 1 cup of Flour, 1/2 + cup of Corn Meal, creole seasoning, and Garlic Salt seasoning to preference.

Nice size fillets for the pan fry, I like to soak in milk and worcestershier sauce with pepper for a couple hours before.

The finished product light yet taste great and goes well with any cold beer.

I love panfish. That's a great idea about the worms in the garden. Just put a flower garden in for my daughter. Gotta add some worms now.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

I have to say will...that looks pretty good!

Oh the bluegill....!

I can't wait to do some bluegill'n this summer! I loved fish'n bluegill when I was a kid...I always had fun do'in that then and I sure love do'in it now!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
rhyak

Anyone want to fish gills with me, feel free to send me a PM and we can meet up and slay some.

Ryan

Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #18
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Anyone want to fish gills with me, feel free to send me a PM and we can meet up and slay some.

Ryan
Where do you go?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #19
rhyak

Lake Perris, Got about another month of great pan fishing if would say then it stays good just not great.