Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Lipripper92592

Solana Beach and South

Sunday Bert and I decided to try out the Solana Beach area, just south of the South of the Swamis SMCA boundary. Pelagic's can be kept in the Swamis SMCA, but to keep things simple we stayed south of the 33 00 00 line. We dropped sabiki's for bait, and it was wide open lizard fish at about 6 inches in 35' of water. After a couple dozen lizard fish I moved to a pocket next to the kelp bed and loaded up on 8-10" macs. Dropper looped one and dragged that close to the bottom and fly lined another on 60lb spectra with 30lb floro leader. After about 20 minutes the clicker on the fly line, bumps a few feet, then steady pull. I put the reel in gear and loaded up the rod, drag peeling for about 50 feet, then pop. After reeling in, it looks like the knot failed as the tip of the line looked like a pigs tail. Set up the fly line again with a new hook and mac and about an hour latter at the same mark, same deal, except this one stayed on for about a minute, let me announce "fish on" over the radio to Bert, then pop. This time the line was frayed and cut at about a 30 degree angle. I was thinking mako or thresher. When Bert hooked up, the same happened to him, all working the same area. Some fellow on the beach says he's hooked into the resident BSB that hangs out in the area, so who knows what it was. The weather was great and next time I'm out there I'll bring some wire leader....just incase. Picture of the South End of Swamis SMCA,Bert and 4.78nm of gps track.

If you see that mirage drive in the picture at the bottom in the surf zone......well, you know who the owner is, maybe a couple tackle boxes too!!
The landing was tricky!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lipripper92592; 02-10-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
"jjcawjj"

Great Fishing report!!! Always wanted to fish that area, just seems like everytime I get there the Surf is to Big to get thur with my Yak. Did you launch from South of Ponto's Beach by the Jetty?
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

bummer! no leash on the mirage drive?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
"jjcawjj"

Whoops!!! I meant South of the Camp Grounds, by the Cardiff Parking Lot?
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Looks beautiful out there!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
He said something about catching his foot in the leash when bailing, pulling the clip apart.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by "jjcawjj" View Post
Whoops!!! I meant South of the Camp Grounds, by the Cardiff Parking Lot?
We launched right between the fingers of the reef. A better spot would have been just south of the reef in the "bowl" area.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
I had a leash on it. But I or the bail broke the leash at the connection point to the drive. Other then that it was a great day. Had a blast! Saw at least 5 whales. And had my yak out in the ocean for the first time. I am almost certain that the drive is under that reef somewhere. Its like $600 for a new drive. So I will be paddling for a few. I still want to go fishing this weekend!!! That is the first picture with my PA in the ocean.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
I had a leash on it. But I or the bail broke the leash at the connection point to the drive. Other then that it was a great day. Had a blast! Saw at least 5 whales. And had my yak out in the ocean for the first time. I am almost certain that the drive is under that reef somewhere. Its like $600 for a new drive. So I will be paddling for a few. I still want to go fishing this weekend!!! That is the first picture with my PA in the ocean.
Sorry to hear you lost your drive...that really sucks....I wouldn't recommend that you take your PA out without a drive, especially in the ocean. Conditions can change as you well know...and it's not worth the risk. You might get away with it on another kayak...but not the PA.

Well at least you'll have a new drive....!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Sorry to hear you lost your drive...that really sucks....I wouldn't recommend that you take your PA out without a drive, especially in the ocean. Conditions can change as you well know...and it's not worth the risk. You might get away with it on another kayak...but not the PA.

Well at least you'll have a new drive....!
I will never take it out again. I will not be going to LJ with out it. But I will hit the lake or may go to south SD bay this weekend. I dont know. I know the warden isnt going to let me drop that kind of cash. Considering how much I have already spent in a short time. Just to get this ball rolling.

Last edited by Bert Vega; 02-10-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

In the future, you can leave your marage in place while surf launching and landing. There should be an elastic band witha plastic hook to attach to the drive keeping the marage fins in the UP position so they don't hit the sand. You can even peddle with the band on till you get past the zone. Sorry about your lost drive

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Nice report. There are a ton of halibut that hang out in the Swamii's SMCA!

The Cardiff Pipe used to be known to a few people as "halibut land".... I speared my first butt over 20 lbs there!

That said you can not fish with rod and reel from a boat in the Swamii's SMCA....

I could be wrong but I think the regulations for the Swamii's SMCA allow take of pelagic fin fish by speargun only, and fishing by rod and reel from the beach.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
toby

Mirage drive

If you or friends have snorkeling gear. I would go snorkeling. That mirage drive is as heavy as a rock. I would think it went pretty much straight down.

Good Luck, I hope you can find it.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

^^ What he said. Snorkeling gear is cheaper than a new drive
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Nice report. There are a ton of halibut that hang out in the Swamii's SMCA!

The Cardiff Pipe used to be known to a few people as "halibut land".... I speared my first butt over 20 lbs there!

That said you can not fish with rod and reel from a boat in the Swamii's SMCA....

I could be wrong but I think the regulations for the Swamii's SMCA allow take of pelagic fin fish by speargun only, and fishing by rod and reel from the beach.
This is true. Good thing you guys stayed south of the 33. Looking at the area on Google maps, I noticed that their MPA borders are incorrect. Although, they only seem to be a basic representation of the area (boxed out). As high tech as they are, I would have expected better. The Soupfins and Leopard Sharks are around now especially near shore. If you were not fully bent, like it takes to break off a snag, then that is what I would expect it to be. BSB could fray your line a little after a fight, but would still require a good bend to break off on 30#.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #16
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I plan on going this weekend to look for it. Also talked to Nomad Adventure. They are going to talk to hobie. Since it was a hobie leash that failed. Not putting much faith in that. But it is cool they offered to try and help. Either way I will be back out soon. On a new drive, that I bought, got warranty action or found the one I lost.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

There have been a few drives popping up on CL. Round $400 or so.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #18
Zfish03

Snorkel or Scuba if you can tomorrow...or even walk the beach at early AM or low tide, ya never know! I lost my drive on one of my first ocean trips a few years back, I know the feeling! x2 on leaving it in place on landing and bail or superman it in 4 ft of water.
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote