Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Johnp

From paddle to pedal ?

Long time paddler getting ready to switch over, have done some fairly long paddle trips but it is a work out. In an OK Trident now, which has a lot of nice features. The distance capabilities and the hands free features of the Hobie are a real advantage though I think.
I plan to purchase the Revolution 13 soon. Has anobody made the switch to pedal and gone back to paddle ?
This is an old dog, new tricks question I guess. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
Maxfli123

My advice get an outback or pa, IMO they are a drier ride. But test them out get what's comfortable to you. The revo 16 is quick tho...so if distance and speed are your thing then revo is gonna fit nicely in your arsenal. I went from ok prowler 15 to PA 14 and think the PA is easier to load on my suv and it's a "cadi yak" on the water!!!! Good luck I think you will be happy with the switch.
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
Hunters Pa

Are you keeping the Trident? I recently picked up a PA 14 but kept my Trident 15. Also have a Frenzy for quick afternoon harbor runs in my civic. They fill different niches in the arsenal. I'd be real hesitant to surf launch/land my PA - just me, there are some that do it regularly.

What pushed me to get pedal power was an hour long tug of war with a BSB at a Baytubers tourney over the summer. My arms were completely fried, and I had the paddle back to the launch to deal with.

SO, to answer your question, I bought the pedal power but have not given up the paddle
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
TCS

I would demo all the models including the adventure. The sitting position is more reclined with hobies so when you need to paddle the position is not as good. I still water without the weight of fishing gear paddling can be faster. I only use my kayak for fishing and would not consider going back to paddling. Even with the adventure, which is the most efficient model and best for surf and chop, my knees get a little achy by the end of the day. It's also a wet ride.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
WSA-Bob
Junior

Smile Paddle or peddle Hobies

I have done both, I really like my Revo 13 for getting someplace fast, the Outback is stable as all get out and the new ones have the elevated seat like the PAs that keeps you drier.

As for going back to paddling, I plead guilty, but I have found that just re-positioning the seat to keep me more upright with tighter support on the back I can match my durability from my Cobra Tourer when paddling, abvout 30 miles in a day.

My Hobies are older models, but meet my needs in the bay and Ocean, on the river some of the sand bars are quite shallow.

WSA-Bob
WSA-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Johnp

Thanks for the replies, I may keep both in view of your replies. I tested the new PA 12 and the the Revolution 13. Did not try the Outback, and they do not even have a Revolution 16 available to test. PA is great in the water but storage and vehicle topping could be an issue.
I have been told you can go farther with less fatigue, and of course the hands free fishing. That is the reason for the switch.
It seems with the new seat you could find a less reclined posistion, making paddling an option if desired.
It sounds like some of you prefer the Outback over the Revolution, I will give it a test also. Thanks !
Old 02-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
tamddo714

Outback woot woot
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
Thanks for the replies, I may keep both in view of your replies. I tested the new PA 12 and the the Revolution 13. Did not try the Outback, and they do not even have a Revolution 16 available to test. PA is great in the water but storage and vehicle topping could be an issue.
I have been told you can go farther with less fatigue, and of course the hands free fishing. That is the reason for the switch.
It seems with the new seat you could find a less reclined posistion, making paddling an option if desired.
It sounds like some of you prefer the Outback over the Revolution, I will give it a test also. Thanks !
Yes, you are right in thinking that about the recline on the seat. This is on newer hobies only. You can lounge back all day and if ever had to paddle, quick adjustment gets you in the upright position. VERY VERY nice seats. Used to have back pain on the revolution 13 after only a couple hours. Now have a PA and can fish a 12 hour day without even thinking about my back pain.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
Fishin Phil

Paddle to pedal

Hi Johnny,
Check out Fishin Phil123 on you tube. You will see the rack I made for my PA 12. My PA rolls on up the back of the car and it rolls off. I also have wheels on my back saddles on my rack which makes loading and unloading a very easy operation. One thing I would change if I built the rack again, would be to widen the support ladder from 9 inches wide to 18 inches wide. I hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
Johnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Yes, you are right in thinking that about the recline on the seat. This is on newer hobies only. You can lounge back all day and if ever had to paddle, quick adjustment gets you in the upright position. VERY VERY nice seats. Used to have back pain on the revolution 13 after only a couple hours. Now have a PA and can fish a 12 hour day without even thinking about my back pain.
That is good to hear on the back pain, as it is one of my major complaints. WSA 30 miles is an incredible paddle, I did 9 the other day and it was a lot of paddling. By the way Strava is a cool app to record your trek on the bike, run, or kayak. You can view it in satellite picture as well and post it to whatever media you like easily. Fishin Phil, checked out your PA loader, very cool, nice job. Pretty sure Revo 13 will be my choice though, I am not very tall and aarp has been sending me mailers for some time now