Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
lamb

La Jolla 09/05/05 AMs - JIMM, thanks for that tip. IT WORKS!

Late start – got up little before 6:00AM and made it to LJ around 6:30. I “only” forgot my hat and sunscreen today. OK, I didn’t have my shades neither, but that’s because my damn dog ate them yesterday.

Launched in the small surf. Found perfect size greenies not far from the reserve. Loaded pretty quick. Hooked a healthy horsie sardine; pinned it right on and headed South.

Water was nice, bluish, visibility I’d say 10-15’. The area right passed the hotel looked pretty fishy. Macs and bonito were feeding on small chovies. Little boils were all over the place. It seemed pretty tense. I figured if I was yellowtail, that would be a place to hang out. Hefty back of a breezer tail popped within the casting distance. Kept firing off Magabait, only to catch bait size greenies and small bones. As I heard Todd announcing on the radio the 1st official tail picked up from Cobra Mariner, my fly-lined sardine got violently picked up… Game on.

The fish took a fierce run managing to rub on a stringer. Spectra hacked it right away, but the stringer stayed hanging over my line. Then it took me on a nice sleigh ride (the best one so far), to my delight – away from the kelp. Few more minutes and 25# hits the deck. Hooked up with Todd for a photo session. He had a nice tail on board, his story. Bitchen pic, thanks man:

I moved closer to kelp, started heading back North. I saw a bigger swirl that definitely wasn’t a mack… I grabbed my other rod with 5” rubber (clear, filled with black & silver shiny thingies inside). I must have tossed it right in its mouth, as it got inhaled instantly. Another strong run, but this time the fish was running into the kelp. After few minutes, the running game was over - kelp wrestling game was on. I felt I sawed few stringers, but the fish kept finding new ones. At one point, it seemed stuck pretty solid. I didn’t push it – kept paddling in different direction, giving line, taking it back. Finally, I started pulling dead weight. I could hardly see the big tail in ton of lettuce I brought to surface. Kept swinging my gaff until I finally sunk it into the flash. Whole lots of lamb... Baaaaaah…

31#, the biggest fish on the kayak for me, the biggest tail this season. I’m stoked.

Ran into Arne… He ain’t innocent neither, his story. Thanks for the shots Arne!!

Stomach contents – ton of chovies, 1 mac.

Got to meet Jeff, we paddled back together. Dude, you saved my day with those wheels. Thanks for you help!!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
madscientist

Sweet Adi! Looks like there's lots of lamb about.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Jimm H

Adi...

Keep it our little secret!

Way to go. Now that my boat is gone, I'll have to get out there on the JetSki.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Adi, great write up I thought I was there.

I would love to sink my gaff into 31 pounds of kick-ass lamb flash!! :lol:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Dennis

YEAH!!! Nice going Adi.. Some quality yellas.
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
Aaron&Julie

Oh yeah!

Way to go, Adi. 2 very beautiful fish with a nice story to boot.
Maybe you should leave your hat and sunscreen at home more often.