Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Lipripper92592

Oars

This is the exact reason I do not put a motor on my 26' cuddy cabin. It's just bound to break down some day, and the hassle involved with that......oars are just the way to go, always have and always will. And spare oars are super cheap too. CG has them listed all the time.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
This is the exact reason I do not put a motor on my 26' cuddy cabin. It's just bound to break down some day, and the hassle involved with that......oars are just the way to go, always have and always will. And spare oars are super cheap too. CG has them listed all the time.
At the beginning of summer I was rowing my dinghy pretty hard for exercise/fishing in San Diego bay and snapped an oar lock near the bait barge.

It's a slick dinghy of nice quality, but that sucker won't row without an oar lock. Using a single oar as a loose paddle is pretty useless too. Luckily there was enough wind to sail back to my launch point.

I bought a new pair of oar locks and keep the remaining 3rd oar lock in my gear bag as a backup now.

Lots of these things are not so strong and need to be used gently without exerting excessive force.

Same for Mirage peddles. It's not difficult to apply more force than is good for them.

Live and learn. Sometimes small things make big differences.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-09-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

I have had the main axle shaft walk on me twice. Luckily, I discovered it before it move enough to prevent removing the mirage drive out of the well. Need to check all the allen set screws periodically -- if they loosen the shafts can walk. Should be able to gently tap the shaft back into position. A spare mirage will fit in the forward hatch of the PA14, but to make it fit, need to leave out the forward liner. For safety, better have the forward liner in place for flood control and prevention. The mirage can limp in as you learned, I was surprised that a broken mast only reduced speed by 1/3. I'll take a Hobie over a paddle kayak any day. The Hobie paddle needs an extension, let us know if you find a good extension.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote