Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
bigbinca
Junior

Instructors in San Diego?

Greetings! I am interested in learning how to ocean fish from a kayak. I've never been in a "real" kayak, so I'd like some kayak fishing lessons prior to committing to buying one. Can anyone please recommend good instructors in San Diego? I have all the fishing gear, just no kayak. Thanks!

-Brian
bigbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
sdfisher

Aqua Adventures in quivara basin down in Mission Bay, ask for Jen or Mike, good people who will get you on the water and teach you all you need to know so that you will be safe and prepared to go out in the ocean

they do not do fishing lessons though, just paddling and water safety, they also have different sit on tops you could try out, you should try a few different brands to see which one's best suit your fishing style
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
TCS

Go to OEX

Most of the people on this site would recommend that you go to OEX. If your goal is to fish from the kayak, then you won't find anyone more knowledgable about the pros and cons of each option than them. Their inventory of kayaks also covers the range of fishing kayaks and does not include any substandard stuff.

They have demo kayaks as well, so that you can try if before you buy it. If you'd like some instruction to go with that, they can help you. The biggest thing to learn if you want to fish La Jolla is how to handle the surf. Jim Sammons provides instruction on that as well.

All the locations are equally good. I go the Rick's store in Kearny Mesa, because it's close to where I live.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Oolie
Headshots Only

OEX oceanside is a good shop.

I hear Nate has lots of advice to share.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

If you cannot get a one on one with Jim Sammons there are a buch of how to videos on Youtube that will teach you everything from launching to landing your Kayak. There's videos for trolling, fishing, and Kayak customizations. However there's nothing more important that doing it.

Trust me once you try it once you will love it.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Useful Idiot

We do a kayak fishing class at OEX Mission Bay. Give me a call if you want more info, it's very helpful for newbies in the sport. (866) 587-2990
-Brian
Old 05-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
LipYanker
Have rods, will travel!

where did the OEX Oceanside shop go? I drove by a few days ago to see it empty!?!?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

OEX O'Side moved about a mile south on 101. They are now on the other side of the street. Signage is small and is easy to miss. Same guys, same great service and advice.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbinca View Post
Greetings! I am interested in learning how to ocean fish from a kayak. I've never been in a "real" kayak, so I'd like some kayak fishing lessons prior to committing to buying one. Can anyone please recommend good instructors in San Diego? I have all the fishing gear, just no kayak. Thanks!

-Brian
If your still interested in going, I've signed up for the class to be held @ OEX Mission Bay on Thursday July 15th. The class in June was canceled due to a lack of students.

619-866-6129
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Aaron

If you're looking for a class type gig where you can paddle and learn about kayaks and the stuff you need to fish from them, the OEX class is definitely the way to go. They are a great group of guys. I bought a boat from them just a bit ago and they couldn't have been more helpful. Really knowledgable staff and they have everything that you could need.

If you're looking for someone to take you out for some one on one instruction, Josh Pruitt is the man to talk to. Here is his website: http://inshorekayak.com/. Josh is a no nonsense kind of guy that will teach you how to catch, land, and even photograph fish correctly and safely from a kayak. That sounds like a commercial, but since going out on the water with Josh I've become a walking commercial for the guy. Its insane how much you can learn in a single day on the water with Josh and even more insane how much you can learn in 2 days. In my opinion, the best money I've spent in a long time.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote