Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Got Some Stripes

These were the good ones, not the white one that sends people home with their head down.

I headed out of Newport today in hopes of redeeming myself from getting shut out by the fog a week ago. Got on the water around 8 and it was one of the glassiest mornings I've seen yet, the swell wasn't that flat but the ocean just looked like a mirror. It was a pretty cool sight. It was already almost 80 degrees outside but I was set with a big straw hat and some cold beverages.

I had brought my GoPro but it shut off before I started catching some good fish. I had found a good rockfish school early on but I had trouble making them stick with my lure and squid combo, so I went back to basics and used my older Penn 500 with a 1 hook dropper setup with squid strips. That setup worked pretty well, I found that I was on a school of Barberpole Rockfish and literally every drop was getting some big hits by them. Brought up 5 ranging from .5 lbs to 1.5 lbs. Also got a surprise Treefish in the batch too, it was my new PB treefish weighing in at 1.2 lbs.

Then I headed in around 11 since I lost track of the school. It was still pretty glassy at this time too. I was surprised that no one else was fishing this spot today with the conditions being the way they were. There was a little current that helped a bit too. Anyways, it was a pretty good day. Nothing spectacular but I will still mark it as one of my better days fishing. I now have some tasty treats that need to be cooked up.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
yakfishin
Junior

Very nice, looks like some delicious fish tacos.
yakfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
caddisx
caddisx

great job... always in awe
Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I think I saw you heading out. I was in the orange tarpon120 wearing a straw hat. I was gonna see if you wanted company but I had to be off the water by 9:30

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Were you the guy I went over and chatted with for a minute?

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Were you the guy I went over and chatted with for a minute?
I don't recall talking to a guy in a tarpon 120, I talked to a guy in a yellow prowler briefly who only caught a mackerel. I have a yellow scrambler XT. I think I might've of seen you on the way out tho.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
rpd

Nice Barber Poles. Its weird, out in Newport I either have a good day filled with reds or quality Barber Poles. Thanks for the report.
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote