Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
T-Rex

Eastern Sierras

Spent the last week in the Eastern Sierras fishing Rock Creek Lake with a few friends. Most of the campgrounds were very uncrowded in advance of the Labor Day Day weekend.

Fishing was steady all week with lots of stockies in the 10-13" range. Breakfast, Day 1.

Campsite on the lake.

The launch at Rock Creek Lake is very easy and there are sand beaches on either side of the launch. Lots of parking too.

We managed to get a half dozen good sized Alpers. Most fish were caught on Kastmasters, Thomas Buoyants and Mepps Spinners. Others had good success with a variety of flies.

Hold the fish closer to the camera!!

By day 3, I was pretty tired of eating trout, but our designated chef and his wife whipped up some pretty tasty trout tacos with black beans, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, cheese, avocado and Tapatio. Cooking the trout in bacon grease didn't hurt either!

Chef hard at work!

Misplaced my fishing license and had to make a run to Convict Lake to get a replacement. Views of Convict.

Made a couple of short day hikes to surrounding lakes and released a few small rainbows and brookies.

This guy had the lake to himself for several hours.

View of Mt. Thomas and John Muir Wilderness in the distance.

Hit some wild weather on the way home with T-storms, lightning and high winds. I was hauling two x-factors and had a tense moment when one of the J-bars broke. I'm really glad I had the bow tied down securely.

All in all a great trip and already looking forward to next year!

Last edited by T-Rex; 08-31-2013 at 03:54 PM.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
beef78
Large Member

That's my favorite kind of fishing, there! Nice fish!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
lamb

awesome trip,
thanks for a great report!!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
MrPatrick

The Aspens are starting to change. Love that yellow color they turn.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
steveooo

Awesome report and Pics. Thanks for sharing
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
Aaron&Julie

Those are some beautiful pictures, with great clarity, and it both looks and sounds like a great trip. Nice campsite, and view of the lake, too.

We went to surrounding areas, and over to Yosemite a few years back on our last great camping adventure. Your story and pics, made us "jones" to go again , ASAP, which will probably be next year, at the earliest.

I can totally relate to getting burned out on eating trout. As a young kid my Grand-dad, made me eat a lot of trout on camping trips to Idaho. His rationale, "You catch & keep it, you gotta be eating it". I/we live by that now with everything we keep, although we occasionally give some fish and other seafood away to family and friends.

On occasion, we fish in the winter at Lake Poway, since they stock quality trout. A great fight on light tackle, what we keep, we usually smoke, and there's one other method of cooking, which I find tolerable. Those trout tacos sounded pretty decent with all the ingredients and how the trout was cooked. But, if I never ate trout again, that would probably be too soon. In fresh water I'd rather eat catfish, crappie, bass, bluegill, etc. In salt water, I can think of probably 50 or more species of fish I'd rather eat, just off the top of my head.
Aaron

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 09-01-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Add-ons
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
The Aspens are starting to change. Love that yellow color they turn.
x2 if you've never seen it, you should. Convict lake in color is pretty awesome.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
kaya_one

That's where I put in my time before hitting the inshore - Eastern Sierras. Rock Creek has always been my go to. I love fishing the creeks as well. Beautiful pics - thanks for sharing - brings back memories.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
CalicoCody

Ahhhh... Convict looks stunning. Been several years since I've made it up there. Before I had a kayak even. I need to make a return sometime soon with the yak. Awesome pics and nice going on the trout.
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Hammerhead_77

^this...is why we named our daughter Sierra.... thanks for the pics.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Wayne_R

Thanks for report. I just got back from June Loop. Hit Gull lake and Silver on the yak. Not too many fish, but I'm never disappointed with a trip to the Eastern Sierras. Hopefully hit Twin Lakes Bridgeport in the fall.

In another life, I'd move up there, work in the warm months and come back down here or AZ in the winters...
Wayne_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
we usually smoke, and there's one other method of cooking, which I find tolerable. Those trout tacos sounded pretty decent with all the ingredients and how the trout was cooked. But, if I never ate trout again, that would probably be too soon. In fresh water I'd rather eat catfish, crappie, bass, bluegill, etc. In salt water, I can think of probably 50 or more species of fish I'd rather eat, just off the top of my head.
Aaron
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Wish I'd thought about smoking some of the bigger ones while I was up there. Smoked trout is pretty delicious and versatile.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
GHOSTHUNTR

I took my 7 yr. old son to Convict lake in early August for 4 days of camping and fishing. Although it was hot and the fishing wasn't so good, our first trip without Mom and the older brother was nothing short of awesome. God's country up there......
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote