Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Deamon

Blessed...

I've been on the sideline down and out with a flesh wound too graphic to show (unless one person makes a request for me to post the pic ). Then, the Japanese side of my family flies in from the homeland for a visit (yes the freezer was emptied by them, duh)... so their visit also shuts me out of the Bay Tuber's tourney...but I digress! I could only bow down to Jorge's big fish last week ...(and the other nice fishies caught, congrats!). AND I heard MATT's Polish sausage(s)...humbly served...were small but the juicy, explode in your mouth kind . Those photos then proceeded to give me a severe case of Butt itch in the worst way. I wanted one. As the week progressed I'm checking in with guys asking for fishing updates and it's sounding kind of bleak out there. Plan B: Hook up with some brothas, have some fun and let's go cover some ground. Who's going? We come up with a mixture of Team Sewer and Team Lollipop (condensed versions). The insults and jeers began before we even launched...I then knew it was going to be a great day! Adi man...thanks for the photos brotha! Jim
Attached Images

"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 08-25-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Jim, fantastic haul for you all. Congrats. When did this occur, and what locale were you guys at?
Not to steal your excellent thread, but I've got my own flesh wound that is rather graphic, too, which why I had 70 spf on the skin graft donation site(thigh), and the complete top of my burnt right foot (3rd degree, total loss of skin). 19 days at UCSD hospital from March 20th until April 8th of this year. The foot has just healed enough to allow us to start fishing again, as in 2 days ago. Still some pain going on, my pressure garment minimizes that, and I bought neoprene booties for pressure to the foot while on the water. All was good injury-wise when we fished. We'll be back out again soon.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
driftwood

Hmmm, Now were did I see this before? Oh yeah, I remember now...Congrats bro that was a good day for me too.

Last edited by driftwood; 08-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Did the grunion run that week?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

The grunion did not run....

But the halibut population ran for the hills.

You guys killed it.

Hmmmm I don't go with the group and its a wfo bite every time. That's b.s.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
619-SWIM-DOG

He'll of a day for everyone......congrats
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
AWESOME day of fishing
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
yakfishin
Junior

Where is this mythical location you pull fruit from the sea
yakfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeah we a caught a few....when you have a sewage spill IN your area your bound to kill a fish or two...

Last edited by ful-rac; 08-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
lamb

La Jolla is overrated...

You guys kicked some serious buttttt!

And a few yella's to boot!!!

BAD ASS DAY!!!!

The faces were all familiar - it was great to finally get to meet some of you in person. It was my pleasure to be your photo biatch! The pics turned out super cool - that little added height above the water makes a big difference! I can already see some on the cover of major kayak fishing publications!

As slow as it can be, you've got to love fishing for halibut when you know they're there fo' sho... It DOES NOT suck to know exactly where! They always seem to eventually move in on the squid beds, but with all the squid up and down the coast, it's been tough to pin them down any given day... At least it was for us, this year.... Up until recently. And once you find them, it's amazing how stacked up they can be!

We didn't do well on quantity, but made up with one quality species. For the 1st time in about 15 years that I've been pounding South CA sand, I broke 40!!! I lost count of how many > 30lbs halibut I caught long time ago... I caught longer, I caught wider...
But never caught a fatter one.

43 and a change!

We left a gaping hole in the ocean that day!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
kobra

Congrats to all of you guys!!! Great day of pillaging.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
wade

Holy Smokes nice haul guys!!!!!
Adi, nice 1!! Beautiful pict colors all still lit up!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
GregAndrew

Adi, watching you guys work your boat fish is nothing short of perfection. Then to go to the lengths of calling guys in for bait and photo ops is way beyond the call of duty. Thanks for all you do here and out there. The Fox was definitely in the hen house this weekend. Always a pleasure fishing with you other goofs, and you know who we... I mean you are. I think that angry guy at the landing needs a new cart that won't roll away? And maybe some gaffing lessons. BTW, the next guy that paddles up to me and catches my fish is.....not going to go hungry.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
RobFish
Massive Member

First off...well done amigos!
So, before anybody goes out, trying to equal this session, y'all must know that the recon for this trip was exhausting and expensive.
Between all those involved, it was approaching 100+ hours of time on the water, 2 bottles of talcum powder for chaffed derrières, 3 bottles of sunscreen, an absolute metric sh!t-ton of fluorocarbon, hooks, and weights, the incorporation of a spare Mirage Drive (Hobie makes an amazing product no doubt - even Toyotas need some repair after 100,000 miles, right?), and going a bit cross-eyed from staring at FF's while charting bathymetry, things finally paid off.
To those that think that you will just launch your kayak, pedal/paddle for 10 minutes, drop a line, and come home with these kinds of trophies...well that's called luck.
This is called dedication, devotion, sacrifice, and should be applauded.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Dannowar

I was so tired the second day in a row of two work shifts into all nighter paddle outs, that I fell asleep on the water that morning. I don't even know how I made the ridiculous drive home. I went in as everyone was scoring. Way stoked for you guys. Came up surprisingly empty on day one. I'm due for an epic day coming up here.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Drake

I leave for ONE day Jim and you murder it. I'm losing tire tread chasing these bites with you, but it's nice to get out of our local water and avoid the summer parades in La Jolla.

You're killing it Jim, and you sewer boys are cute as hell
Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
Deamon

Adi!...
Rob...
Team Sewer and Team Lollipop
I can only base my perceptions on real experiences and I do know these guys fish very, very hard, pounding hours on the water, traveling miles (both on the water and on the road) and are ready with the right gear and knowledge. Rarely are they ever chasing a bite but crave to find the bite. This incredible day was definitely well earned but the experience of hammering it once it was located, kicked into high gear that I just can't describe in writing. AND at the same time...this won't be a permanent way point in any our FF's. Merely a random wad of butts found by 10 fanned out yakkers who then knew how to work it VERY hard and tight in unison. Synchronized fisherman? Next week, we'll all probably be spread out working different areas again....it literally began as a day to hang with each other because there wasn't much going on...

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Adi!...
Rob...
Team Sewer and Team Lollipop
I can only base my perceptions on real experiences and I do know these guys fish very, very hard, pounding hours on the water, traveling miles (both on the water and on the road) and are ready with the right gear and knowledge. Rarely are they ever chasing a bite but crave to find the bite. This incredible day was definitely well earned but the experience of hammering it once it was located, kicked into high gear that I just can't describe in writing. AND at the same time...this won't be a permanent way point in any our FF's. Merely a random wad of butts found by 10 fanned out yakkers who then knew how to work it VERY hard and tight in unison. Synchronized fisherman? Next week, we'll all probably be spread out working different areas again....it literally began as a day to hang with each other because there wasn't much going on...

Jim

Adi, thanks for the pics.

As for me:
  • In bed at 1130pm
  • up at 2am
  • Making a 100+mile one way drive hoping that something will happen
  • breakfast being some Reeses peanut butter cups and a Monster energy drink
  • getting my gear prepared and hoping I will not forget something while four other guys are telling you to 'hurry the F up'
  • being on the water and realizing that I left your fresh dead in the freezer
I can't tell you guys how often I got so close to some of the private boaters and not once did someone say, "Hey A-hole! You're to close to my boat/line". For once, everyone played friendly and the fishing God's payed us back in return with some quality fish. Heck, the smallest fish was only 15lbs . Seeing guys hook up back to back to back in less than 10minutes is priceless, nothing can replace those images in my head. Especially, when those guys are fishing within 75' of each other.

Jim, my hats off to you buddy

Adi, thanks again for not only taking the pics but offering to take the pics, you are a gentleman and a scholar

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 08-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
steveooo

Insane fishing! How cool is that!

Adi, welcome to the 40 club
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
roby
CEO of Team Roby

What an epic day!!!

The halibut slayers strike again......I gotta get my ass out on the water ASAP!!!

roby is offline   Reply With Quote