Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
beef78
Large Member

lj 8/25 Mystery shark

Didn't catch anything other than a baby rock fish, 8 sand dabs and some bait. The waves coming back in were the worst I've seen. Put my nose into the sand and I had to bail. didn't flip the yak, but I saw quite a few tourists struggling. The high point of the trip was the 6-7 foot shark I saw swimming about 30 feet from the launch. Pretty cool! I am not sure what kind it was but it was definitely not a leo. It was grey with black at the tips of its fins. I was busy getting pushed into shore by the surf, so I didn't get a picture of it. I thought about swimming out to try and get a pic but I thought it would have swam off because it was headed north at a good clip. Any thoughts about what it could be?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
philr21

Sounds like a blacktip or another sort of warm water reef shark that pushed up from down south.
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef78 View Post
Didn't catch anything other than a baby rock fish, 8 sand dabs and some bait. The waves coming back in were the worst I've seen. Put my nose into the sand and I had to bail. didn't flip the yak, but I saw quite a few tourists struggling. The high point of the trip was the 6-7 foot shark I saw swimming about 30 feet from the launch. Pretty cool! I am not sure what kind it was but it was definitely not a leo. It was grey with black at the tips of its fins. I was busy getting pushed into shore by the surf, so I didn't get a picture of it. I thought about swimming out to try and get a pic but I thought it would have swam off because it was headed north at a good clip. Any thoughts about what it could be?
I could have sworn I saw a salmon shark about 4 feet in length cruising with a leo in about five feet of water off the launch a few months ago.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
I could have sworn I saw a salmon shark about 4 feet in length cruising with a leo in about five feet of water off the launch a few months ago.
I really wish I got a better glimpse or even a picture. Maybe I'll go out there after work tomorrow and chill in the same area waiting for it with my mask and snorkel and gopro with my yak anchored. It would be sweet to get a good shot of him up close.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr21 View Post
Sounds like a blacktip or another sort of warm water reef shark that pushed up from down south.
Do blacktips come up this far? I think oceanic black tips go in cold water but not this shallow. Maybe I need to do some hands on research...
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
ctfphoto

I saw a green sea turtle the other day in La Jolla and was like WTF?????

Googled it and got more info.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post

theres a bunch of them in the back of the SD bay. well atleast there used to be from when the power plant kept everything warm. supposedly there used to be a bunch of big shrimp and lobster swimming around the power plant as well
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post

I thought I saw one swimming around the kelp but couldn't find it when I tried to chase it down and figured it was my imagination. maybe I did see it.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

weird. was it heavy bodied or slender?

heres some pics of different sharks.

soupfin (from california, just north of LJ)

black tip

small dusky, they look about the same all through their life and are common to california

and bull

they can all be found in socal and can have black on their fins. the others you might encounter are salmon sharks, great whites (they come in small packages too, saw a 4fter in oceanside harbor), sevengills, oceanic white tips, tigers and hammers.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
You forgot our short fin MAKO!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
beef78
Large Member

After looking at all those, I would have to guess black tip, but I am not sure. I didn't get a good enough look at it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
usmp06
Shark Bait

Did it look like this?
Attached Images

usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmp06 View Post
Did it look like this?
Hard to say because I saw it from above.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Aaron&Julie

I wouldn't question all the possibilities mentioned except one, the Salmon Shark. Most know it's in the same family as the Great White, and Mako, a few of the only warm-blooded sharks in the whole world, but Salmon's most typically are very far north of here, preferring much colder water, as is off the coast of Alaska. In all my life I've never heard of an account of one in Socal waters, not that I've heard everything there is to know, but I've certainly followed ocean fishing closely for 42 years.
Aaron
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
makoslayer

never knew bulls/hammers/tigers are in so cal. They prefer warmer water on the east coast. I was stationed in florida and i saw all three of these in a day at the pier. the hammer was 10ft east swimming around the swimmers and following the pier out to the deep....pretty intense.

Stealth 14 (Sand Camo)
makoslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
I wouldn't question all the possibilities mentioned except one, the Salmon Shark. Most know it's in the same family as the Great White, and Mako, a few of the only warm-blooded sharks in the whole world, but Salmon's most typically are very far north of here, preferring much colder water, as is off the coast of Alaska. In all my life I've never heard of an account of one in Socal waters, not that I've heard everything there is to know, but I've certainly followed ocean fishing closely for 42 years.
Aaron
I've heard of the young ones washing up on beaches all the time in california, but I really don't know how common they are.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Aaron
they are hear, the pups run the shallow coastal waters all the time and wash up now and then. there was an adult school off newport a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heASYwQEsNY

i didn't mention mako because they don't normally have black tips, and i've never seen or heard or them having them.

hammers used to be a common catch back in the 60's all the to monterey. tigers and bulls are found along Baja California and have been sighted off of sand diego, they could easily be pushed up in numbers by a warm current.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
beef78
Large Member

I think the water temp at LJ has cooled down a little lately. I don't know. Hopefully, I get better look at him this weekend.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Ggiannig89

my brother seen this guy a couple summers ago on beach in coronado. Is it a great white or salmon?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
lowprofile

thats a salmon shark. too small overall to be a white and the teeth are more mako like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
my brother seen this guy a couple summers ago on beach in coronado. Is it a great white or salmon?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4