Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondon86 View Post
Do any of you guys that fish la jolla yoyo with braid tied to a flouro leader or topshot? What are the pro and cons?
I fish YoYo with spectra and a fluoro topshot, I could give you the tradition stuff.... jig sinks faster, cuts kelp etc... but everyone is going to say that stuff. For me though the biggest plus is that with spectra I can get away with smaller lighter weight reels and shorter rods, which translates to longer fishing time with less problems in my left shoulder, which tends to give me trouble after fishing Yo Yo all day or fighting big fish.

Last year I was fishing most of my yo yo with a 5' 10" 10-40 Kencore and a Saltist 30T. This year I'm switching to even lighter weight rig a 4'9" 10-40 or possibly 20-50 Kencor with a Tyrnos 8II 2-speed which though it weighs even less has even more fish cranking power.

I also add that I like the added sensitivity not because I need it to feel strikes, but because it allows you to feel exactly what the jig is doing at all times, so you have more control of how it runs in the water in relation to speed and rod movement, and that since it has a thinner diameter you can keep the jig down deeper longer in the zone if it's windy and you have a fast drift or if there is a ton of current.

I have been fishing spectra with topshots on everything from sharks to halibut to yo yo fishing yellows and even yo yo fishing yellowfin tuna since it was first introduce, and I've never cut myself with spectra. Hey and if you think a yellow hits an Iron hard try a forty to sixty pound YFT, they can do some serious damage on the Iron.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-20-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote