Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
SaltwaterSoul23
Junior

2 things...

Ok so I am active duty military. Was planning to move to the Corpus Christi with my wife in the middle of sept. BUT she just hit with the divorce papers... Fucking sucks.. BUT that means more fishing.. At least to me. So this just happend Friday. Plan A try to reenlist and go to Hawaii for some killer fishing.. And plan B was to try my luck and go all the way down to cabo in the yak and camp out on the beach or drive and stop at fishy places till I get to the tip.. Is this possible? I've only flew to Mexico never made it pass the border in a car.. Any advice or points of contact would be greatly appreciated or any up coming trips to Baja would be glad to join please let me know anything helps right about now.
SaltwaterSoul23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Well if that aint a kick in the nutz.

Its possible and definitely enjoyable to drive n fish to cabo but since you dont have any idea of spots along the way you need a lot of research. I think everyone should do that at least once.

If you are serious you can get a lot of shared experience right here. Theres a lot of baja travelers on this site.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
cabojohn
PROBATION

Plan B

Thank you for your service. Sorry for your circumstances. Time heals!
Consider this an opportunity to travel and fish Baja.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Murray

Driving would be a lot easier than yaking your way to cabo. Lots of planning for sure to make the trip by yak. The drive is super cool. If you have 4 wheel drive, you can venture off the main roads and get to some more isolated areas. Let the forum know your plans and I am sure you will get lots of info and suggestions. Whatever you decide, stay safe and have lots of fun. Sorry to hear about your marriage. Always hate to hear someone has to go thru a divorce.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
619-SWIM-DOG

Reenlist- how many years do you have in? What service?
Fishing in Hawaii from the yak is amazing.
Aquahunters.com
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
HobieScot

Driving your kayak down if definitely doable. There is some killer fishing in Baja. I usually stop at Camalu and San Quintin. San Quintin is a great spot and we always Stay at the Old Mil. They are set up for fisherman. Hell they even have rod holders in the shower so you can rinse off your reels at the end of the day. Drop your catch off at the Resturant when you get back, then go take a shower while they cook your catch. $20 later and you will have the meal of your life with the fish you just caught.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
SaltwaterSoul23
Junior

That all sounds awesome. I will definetly have to do my research and make some up-grades. But I spent 5 years in the marine corps and definetly need a break but at the same time their are worse places to spend an enlistment than Hawaii. I will let you all know my plans as soon as I can sort through everything and figure my shit out. But thank you all for the advice will definetly start send yall PM's when the time gets closer. THANK YOU!
SaltwaterSoul23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
PapaDave

Plan A
Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
flemdogg
Island Blood

Sorry for the crap you are going through man. Both plans sound awesome, however I'm not sure if the DOD has lifted the restriction on travel to Mexico. As of 2013 when I got out, travel to Mexico was a no-go for all Active Duty. When I first enlisted in 2004 all you needed was a special liberty chit, but you know how it goes, policies change. Good luck with everything bro, if you never need someone to fish with locally PM me.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
momo fish

Sucks. Use the opportunity to keep yourself busy after a separation. Hawaii sounds like it can keep you busy with work and play till your ready for next step in life. Mexico will always be there to make the drive. Could be worst and be married for a while with kids and complex finances to separate.. Grrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Plan A

X2
Old 07-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
FISH11

She just might have given you the best present you might get, FREEDOM. If she's asking for support then it's plan B. If, your on your own, then plan A. Also remember this feeling and don't make that "marriage" mistake again.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Plan A, well, depending on your MOS. My cousin hated Hawaii as an 0844 spending every other week in the field. Sucks to hear your situation, but it could be a hell of a lot worse. One of my Marines had his wife knocked up while we were in Iraq, and we found out because she got knocked up by one of the other guys in our platoons cousin! Surprised they didn't put him on suicide watch and let him keep his ammo.

If they let you re-enlist, I'd take advantage. Otherwise, plan B sounds good too!

Last edited by Silbaugh4liberty; 07-27-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemdogg View Post
Sorry for the crap you are going through man. Both plans sound awesome, however I'm not sure if the DOD has lifted the restriction on travel to Mexico. As of 2013 when I got out, travel to Mexico was a no-go for all Active Duty. When I first enlisted in 2004 all you needed was a special liberty chit, but you know how it goes, policies change. Good luck with everything bro, if you never need someone to fish with locally PM me.
The old Marine corps and Navy bro!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #15
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

I am coming up on 20 years in the Navy and getting ready to retire in 109 days! Sorry to hear about the soon to be ex..but guess what everything happens for a reason, some of my breakups have been the greatest thing to happen to me! As far as the trip I use to go down into mexico pre 9/11 and even after for a little bit about 2 hours past Ensenada, there is a hostel and we use to drink, surf, fish, repeat..but that trip all the way down would be sick! I have a friend who is getting stationed in Hawaii and cant wait to slay some fish! Like Flemdogg said if you want someone to fish with hit me up! I am always down to meet new people and swap stories and make new ones!