Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Ro12

Penn questions

Anyone got any experience with the spin fisher or battle ii reels or combos
Been checking em out
Thinking bout pickin em up
Thanks
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro12 View Post
Anyone got any experience with the spin fisher or battle ii reels or combos
Been checking em out
Thinking bout pickin em up
Thanks
I was thinking the same thing! I need a spinner to jig on the kayak. Maybe my wife will hook it up for Father's day!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

I had spinfisher, (largest one, forgot name lol) liked it..the secondary drag was pretty tight at the loosest setting...but besides that I hauled in my biggest yt out in LJ with it.. Good drag, nice handle for getting power. Had it on a shimano rod....I ended up selling it to my boy and got traditional Penn Fathom which I'm selling now..A.D.D sucks lol..let me know if you have any questions. Ryan

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
batfish
Junior

They are both pretty solid spinning set ups. I have the 4000 Battle 2 and had a 6000 before a garage sale(son flipped his kayak) . Both have plenty of torque and drag.
batfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
Fishin Phil

Spinning Reels

I have three Battle reels and Spinfisher models 7500 and 8500LL Liveliner. Double carbon drags on the Spinfishers with waterproof drags make these reels work horses. Especially with 35 lbs. of drag. I use the liveliner on my tuna trips and I will be on the Tribute Friday night on a one and a half day trip. You can also back peddle the liveliner just like a conventional reel. I do feed the line out by hand when it is in liveline mode. A greenback can pull the line off easy but a sardine needs some assistance. I watch the arch in the line and I can still feel every tail wag. I would highly recommend them. I see the hit as the arch disappears before it pulls any line off of the spool. I also use white braid so I can see my line twice as far compared to green or red line. Another plus, they cast farther than a conventional and there is never any backlash. All of these reels have the smoothest drags.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
2-Stix

I have a 4500 and 6500LL. 6500LL was defective and I had to send it back under the 1 year warrantee. I have become 100% conventional lever drag. They will become my sons. They were my entry combos when I started back up. Back ups, loaners, etc...tons of drag.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
iethinker

6500LL

I can recommend Penn Spinfisher V 6500LL. This on an Ugly Stik has been my go to YT set-up with live bait. 65-lb power-pro for main line. You will never set it to anywhere near max-drag on a kayak. The dual drag is convenient and a good safety feature for when trolling in the rod-holder.

I also have a Spinfisher V 7500 that could winch my car. In my opinion this thing is overkill buy may be good on Thresher, etc...

Matt
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
Ro12

Thanks everyone
Guess I'm sold
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Hey Matt, do you have the live liner version of the spin fisher that you use for live bait?

I didn't realize they make a 10500 size! I'm sure you could easily land those triple digit tuna just south of the border that guys are catching right now

Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
iethinker

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Hey Matt, do you have the live liner version of the spin fisher that you use for live bait?

I didn't realize they make a 10500 size! I'm sure you could easily land those triple digit tuna just south of the border that guys are catching right now

Yes....the 6500 is a LL version.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote