Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Spanked by a Landwhale, 6-12-15

Steve and I launched about 6:15 from the SKi Beach ramp. It was chilly and misty, but not much wind. Worked our normal spots with the normal baits. Steve got 31, I got 17 (3 legal). Ouch! I just couldn't make the short biters stick. At one Point Budda joined us, good to see you Jeff. The Fishin' Mission also worked most of the same areas. It seemed to be slow for them too, but I didn't watch them close.

I had lots of bites today, but they were quick and much more subtle than normal. I missed way too many. My most productive areas had a slight dropoff with some current (there wasn't much today and the wind was against it). Hot baits were the 3" Flurry in Baitball, 4" Smokin Shad Paddlerz, and 5" New Penny Paddlerz. All were fished on 3/8oz Warbait Slayer head in either red or silver. Hot Sauce was judiciously applied to all baits.

At some point the south wind started blowing and it even rained. At least I'll call it rain as I could hear it on the hood of my jacket, and it got me wet. Speaking of wet, the water was in the mid 60's at launch and up to the high 60's at landing.

All in all, a good day to be on the water.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
buddha

I stayed out longer than you guys did until 2:00 PM. The bite picked up when I paddled further down the channel by the rocks. Too bad I didn't have a camera as I caught my personal best spottie ever. It was over 2 lbs. possibly even 3 it was just enormous. I ended up with 34 today one of my best days ever at MB. Of course I will get skunked the next time out as MB is usually my nemesis.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
buddha

Are these the jig heads that you used?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Warba...age-WBSSJ.html
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
landwhale

Had a great day even with getting soaked with the heavy drizzle, thankfully Ed had a extra wind beaker and shirt as at launch time I went with a t shirt as there was no wind and not too cold. For me the fishing was good 31 spotties with 5 legals and a lot of 13" fish. 2 of my legals came on the blade and the others fell to the Zoom Fluke in Smoking Shad (pulled out the old go to bait) also threw the Zman Paddlez in 5" Redbone and New Penny and the 4" Houdini with the mandatory coating of Uni Butter. Fun day fishing with ED.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
buddha

I think I fished with you also. Nice meeting you.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
JeffB

Thanks for the report. I'm debating on MB or Tidelands tomorrow morning.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Are these the jig heads that you used?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Warba...age-WBSSJ.html
I didn't see him answer but warbaits are great. That is all I use, and I use the MC or big hammer swimbaits. I also use the berkely gulp and have caught anything and everything on it..plus they are based out of SD! Good luck and give em a try.
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
landwhale

Sorry Jeff neither of us caught your question and that is the head we use in 3/8 oz for the bays and harbors

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Amish Ed

Sorry I missed that. Here's how I buy them. I find the colors good on his skirts, but I make my own. I don't fish them with the skirts very often though.