Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Caseym

Oside Harbor w/kids...report to follow.

scrambling right now to load the Yak and the Paddleboard into the truck to go cruise OSide harbor. Bringing one rod and minimal tackle. Hoping for a "lucky" halibut around tide swing. Ill post up tonight with a recap!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Caseym

Short Version: No Fish, Kids had fun!
Details: Picked up a simple little seat from a nearby kayak shop, mounted it rearward facing on the back of the Outback for my 7 year old. 10 year old brought his SUP. Launched at the Kayak/SUP Dock on the inland/east side of the harbor. Super easy, they have a rubber floating half dock next to the normal boat dock so getting in/out is a piece of cake. Off we went. Cruised out toward the entrance using my Outback as "The Mother Ship" with food and drinks in a cooler on the front. Tried a black and silver soft minnow, MC swim baits, paddle tails, weedless white Berkley jerk baits, and a couple different reddish patterns on a green headed warbait......all for nutheeeeeng!
Dudes had a great time just cruising around looking at boats and sea life.
New idea though...Launch again (minus the minions) and go outside to the artificial reefs. No waves to negotiate or sand to deal with. Cleanup was super quick and easy and there's even a freshwater hose at the dock. Parking was free. Now if I can only find some fish!!
Oh in case you haven't seen it, go to BDOutdoors fish reports and look at the Bluefin crashing the baitball just outside of Dana Harbor and the free swimming tuna beside the dock inside the harbor! Unreal!
Word-
Old 06-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
surfisher

Casey, O'side artificial reefs can be pretty decent sometimes. Just be prepared to do a lot of paddling as you will drift off of them really fast.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Caseym

Thanks Bri,
Lets go hit em one day!!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
spottie_slayer

There's a video I just watched of some guys spearing a yellowfin inside DP harbor
spottie_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
reloader760
Junior

I was there monday, too. I had the blue hobie. Good luck when you hit the reefs.
reloader760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
Maxfli123

Love the reefs out there but be prepared to paddle on your first trip out. I'll head out there with you anytime...given my boss will let me off (;

Last edited by Maxfli123; 06-18-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote