Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

June 15

June has been fairly windy here in Asuncion so I have been stuck on the beach a bit more than I wanted to, and when I have been able to get out, my sessions have been shortened by the wind. The result has been no yellows in June. Yesterday was a perfect day. Zero wind from sunrise til I got off the water at 1 pm. I was able to land my 1st and 2nd yellow for the month. Both in the 15 lb range. Here's a pic of one of them which seemed to have had a previous encounter with a sea lion or shark.

Name:  P1000224.JPG
Views: 1300
Size:  88.6 KB

I had a nice encounter with a pod of orcas while I was out there. I had just flung my jig out in 135 ft of water and was waiting for it to get to the bottom when this pod of 5 orcas popped up, swimming perpendicular to my line. There was 2 big ones and 3 smaller models. I was able to snap one picture. Immediately after this picture, they turned directly at my yak and we're moving at a pretty good speed. If I would have had my wits about me I would have kept snapping pictures but I froze. It seemed that they were charging me but in hindsight I believe they were just trying to avoid my line. They came within 20 of the yak on the surface and then swam under it and then continued on. In fact, one of them had snagged my line on it's tall dorsal but when I pulled the line tight it came loose. They milled around about 1/4 mile from me for the next half hour and then split. The whole area was conspicuously void of sea lions for the rest of the day. I was telling Shari this story this morning and she was saying that they totally shut down the abalone divers when there are Orcas in the area. Guess I should have radioed it in.

Name:  orcas.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  140.0 KB

It was so greasy calm that I decided to head a couple miles further off shore to explore. The water was warmer the farther I went out. Found some 63 degree water out there but not much life. I did run into something finning in the surface that I couldn't get close enough to to ID. Tossed a jig at it and it turned on it but then sank out. I suppose it was a shark of some type.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!

Last edited by rossman; 06-17-2015 at 09:41 AM.
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
alexreelin
Junior

ORCAS

WERE YOU ALONE OUT THERE?
alexreelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

That must've been unreal...
my blood would be pumpin more from a pod of Orcas than a GW....

We're still going to beat you to an unassisted yak tuna this year!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Zed
BANNED

BOOM goes the dynamite!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHanded View Post
That must've been unreal...
my blood would be pumpin more from a pod of Orcas than a GW....

We're still going to beat you to an unassisted yak tuna this year!
Go for it!!!!! Some of us will be looking 24-30 June in Gonzaga, water temps are up, And regular temps are averaging 95 days and 75 nights. Winds look to be in the 8-11 mph range.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
dmrides

The orcas would have been a sight to see! Unreal, so frickin' cool.

Congrats on the yellows.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

yikes!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
cabojohn
PROBATION

I can sum it up in two words..."Shore Fisherman"! lol
That's nucking futs Rossman.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
udowinkler
Junior

Early last year, there were a couple of large sea lions that had beached themselves directly in front of the house, Ross. They were really noisy and were really barking loudly. After a couple of minutes of the extremely loud barking I decided to walk to the beach in front of the house.
Two large male sea lions had escaped an attack by three orcas by beaching themselves. The orcas were still swimming back and forth out in very shallow water. I wish I had taken the camera. Two minutes later the orcas were gone, and the sea lions were then barking at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post

I had a nice encounter with a pod of orcas while I was out there. I had just flung my jig out in 135 ft of water and was waiting for it to get to the bottom when this pod of 5 orcas popped up, swimming perpendicular to my line. There was 2 big ones and 3 smaller models. I was able to snap one picture. Immediately after this picture, they turned directly at my yak and we're moving at a pretty good speed. If I would have had my wits about me I would have kept snapping pictures but I froze. It seemed that they were charging me but in hindsight I believe they were just trying to avoid my line. They came within 20 of the yak on the surface and then swam under it and then continued on. In fact, one of them had snagged my line on it's tall dorsal but when I pulled the line tight it came loose. They milled around about 1/4 mile from me for the next half hour and then split. The whole area was conspicuously void of sea lions for the rest of the day. I was telling Shari this story this morning and she was saying that they totally shut down the abalone divers when there are Orcas in the area. Guess I should have radioed it in.

Attachment 15841

It was so greasy calm that I decided to head a couple miles further off shore to explore. The water was warmer the farther I went out. Found some 63 degree water out there but not much life. I did run into something finning in the surface that I couldn't get close enough to to ID. Tossed a jig at it and it turned on it but then sank out. I suppose it was a shark of some type.
udowinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
udowinkler
Junior

Wait until December, Rossman, when you'll run into pods of whales. They will be either slightly outside of San Roque, or both inside and outside of Asunción islands.
Whales in front of the house, followed by sea lions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
I can sum it up in two words..."Shore Fisherman"! lol
That's nucking futs Rossman.

p.s. Momentarily I can't seem to find all my whales pictures in Asunción, but i'll find them sooner or later and will post them here.

FOUND! my whales photos from Bahia Asunción, near the house.

Last edited by udowinkler; 06-24-2015 at 09:24 AM.
udowinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
TJones

Incredible

Snappy ..
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote