Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
kurt

LJ 9-10

Launched at about 1/2 hour before sunrise. Paddled out with Randy and made bait (all spanish) easily enough. Paddling farther out, it sounded like a stockyards with all the bleating going on over the radio. Little Bo Peep may have lost her sheep, but Adi found them. Got out to the corner and it seemed pretty quiet. Kept trying to make some greenies, but got lots of big spanish. Some of the earlier fish were on big greenbacks, so I put on a 10" spanish and paddled back to the pasture. Was around some of the usual suspects when the clicker goes off. Give the fish a good 10 count to eat the bigger bait, and I'm on. The fish finds a stringer real quick. I'm able to gain line slowly, and then the fish takes it back. After a couple of rounds of tug of war, I feel a pop, and the line goes slack. &^&^$%$&*&*^(&%^^$$##. Wait, he's still on, that was just the kelp breaking. The fish tows me around in some circles and we have a protracted fight from color to the surface with many short runs. Finally he came aboard after what seemed like a 1 1/2 year battle. Looked like 25 lbs in the water, 20 in the kayak, and went slightly over 16lbs on the beach.

A nice sealion tried to relieve me of my fish on the paddle in, luckily I wasn't dragging it in the water. I think the best part was all the people who gave me encouragement and congratulated me afterwards. Thanks.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
grey zone

Kurt, fun day. I lost you after I hooked my 1st fish, glad you found the mojo. Randy
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
madscientist

Where to start...hell of a morning with an entertaining crowd.

First off, congrats again to Kurt for a hard fought battle. When that stringer popped I was already feeling your pain..it was great to see the rod bend back down...

I got out of the way after that and 15 minutes later checked with Mark to find out Kurt was STILL on the fish. Way to hang in there.

As for Adi, all I'll say now is that many lambs died, and many died too young . I believe the term is "red hot". And lambcrew found some primo shark chum as well (over 7#, we guess).

One guy had a tough day :roll: and some asshole kept making fun of him ops: . I won't mock, I know how sensitive he is this time of the month, but one story just begs telling. About a dozen of us were in the area where a fish had just been landed, when this gentleman's bait rod starts to sing. I guess he was diddling with the jig rod because he starts reeling that one in, all the while the bait rod is going ZZZZZ. He patiently secures the jig as Mark and I look at each other and ask, "is he planning to set the hook on that fish or what?" By now the bait is probably half digested already, but when the time finally came, nothing stuck. I am all too guilty of the opposite, not giving them time to chow, but that was the longest time between strike and set I have ever seen :shock: . (name withheld to protect the innocent).

As for me, I watched/helped Jimm and Mark get his ski in the water at 5:30am. Damn, Jimm, you need some lights on that thing. I paddled out with Mark to the buoy (it's back!) then vectored deeper. There was a breeze from the get go so that killed my squid hunting plans. Adi called us into the bite so I joined the flotilla. Lambcrew was giving lessons, so I watched and learned. At one point, we were exchanging bad habits and as we are chatting, Adi throws a bait out. 5 seconds later, it starts to sing. ""Lively bait", says Adi. Then it SINGS. Amazing.

Finally, I see a no-shit boil between myself and lambcrew, first of the morning. Start paddling hard, reach for the jig stick, but the bottom bait goes off. Lock in and I'm on. On my back-up reel, I realize the drag is not too tight and I feel kelp quickly. Hang in there and go to my new favorite kelp technique...use the current. Just hang on and wait for the steady n-to-s current to put pressure on the fish/kelp. Sure enough, one by one I feel the stringers give and soon its pump time. Shortly thereafter, fish dies.

Opposite of Kurt, this fish felt medium small initially, looked decent at gaff, and weighed in a marginal upgrade. Fat female, full of roe.

Got a ride from Adi over to the rockfish spot, but nothing was doing. Worked the bottom in closer to the kelp but nothing was doing. Met a few other yakkers on the water and at the beach, hope to see you all again. Forgive me if I don't remember names, I'm terrible about that.

Back for more tomorrow AM (maybe PM too). Hope this weather doesn't worsen.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
vellocity

Epic day guys!!!
damn i wish i fished weekends!!!

good job KURT!!!! and everyone else!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
lamb

Kurt, right on!!! Way to get the skunk off that boat.

Congrats to Brad and all the rest that connected with the right kind. 8)

Fun morning, no doubt. I expected much more boat traffic, cool. I had 1 descent 16lber and lots of babies hungry for 12" greenies.

Calico that Jasmin caught was awesome. It was tough, but I managed to talk him into letting him go.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
Jimm H

Thanks for protecting my identity, Brad...

I definately waited too long to put the reel in gear. Just a case of the stupids, which I seem to have had a lot of lately. I've lost the last three fish hooked-- one to kelp, one to a kink in the fluorocarbon leader, one to letting it run too long.

I did appreciate your help getting the jetski launched from the beach for the first time. I learned some things that need to be done differently next time to make it easier.

And, I plan to install bow and stern light this week. Even without them (and just the headlamp) I can see you glowing in the dark....

Now, if I can just figure out this hook set thing...
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote