Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
socal.beach.bum

WTB my first yak

So, I have had a few bad experiences with kayaking. Mainly through surf launches. SO my question is, what kayak would be best for me to get if I want to launch from the beach? Or is it that no matter what I get I will roll until I get enough experience with surf launches? If that's the case, I don't think my shoulders can take the punishment anymore.

Thanks
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Baja_Traveler

Until you get adept at handling the kayak you will be at the mercy of the surf. To reduce those unwanted swimming sessions you pick your days, then spend more than 5 minutes watching the surf to gauge the sets. Get a feeling of when the sets peak and time your launch during a lull. Screw around too much, and you'll find yourself in the peak of the surf half way through your launch...
Of course a faster kayak will get you through the danger zone that much quicker, but at the expense of stability - fast boats are skinny and tippy.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum View Post
So, I have had a few bad experiences with kayaking. Mainly through surf launches. SO my question is, what kayak would be best for me to get if I want to launch from the beach? Or is it that no matter what I get I will roll until I get enough experience with surf launches? If that's the case, I don't think my shoulders can take the punishment anymore.

Thanks
It's not if you will get rolled it's when you get rolled, my opinion is if you are consistently having yard sales upon landing, you should think about taking a surf launch and land lesson, so you can get the basics down and the professional training on performing the landing without incident, I have had my share of yard sales, even after being taught the "what and what not to dos"
I have learned that if a landing is looking sketchy, stow everything, take the reels off the rods, take off electronics and put them in a dry bag and stow them, that way if something happens at least your equipment is safe...
There are yaks that do better than others as far as performance in the surf,
but I think ultimately it is going to boil down to experience and knowing your limits, common sense and timing...
Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Gigafish

Stay away from high surf days. Familiarity with your kayak will help with launching and landing. Experience.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
NextBite

Buy a hobie
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
dmrides

I am certainly no expert, but here's my $0.02...A medium length paddle yak like the OK prowler 13 is going to be the most user friendly yak in the surf. Going out is usually not as big of an issue. Like was said before, watch the waves and figure out when there are lulls. Time it right and paddle 'til you clear the breakers.

On the way in, you really don't want to surf the waves. It's best to paddle in on the back of a wave or between waves. You can throw your legs over the sides to act as brakes and to help steer. If you do catch a wave, your yak will likely turn sideways. This is ok, relax, lean into the whitewash and just let it take you skipping sideways all the way to the shore. You can also use one leg over the side to help steer and brake. Whatever you do don't try to steer with your paddle, it will make you roll.

Just go practice. Take a day, spend an hour or two going in and out of the surf. Try different techniques and spend some time gaining confidence. When you are out past the breakers, lean over and see how far you can lean before you roll. Spending a lot of time in the surf will also help you to learn how much your yak leaks.

Then when you are more comfortable, take all your gear and go fish. Just remember, always leash it and stow it.

Good luck.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Daltontribe
Surf Launch Roll Tester

HOBIE

You'll never regret getting one. If you go a different route you'll probably wish you'd have gotten a Hobie. And then eventually get one
Daltontribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
taggermike

If the surf launch and landing are really giving you trouble then practice them with no gear on your kayak. Like with any thing else, practice makes perfect, or at least better. Like others said, watch the waves for a while and study how more experienced paddlers/peddlers handle the surf. Another thing I have noticed about beginners is that they often take too long to clear the surf. Have your gear set up right, pick your time, paddle peddle hard and get the hell through the wave, in or out. The longer you stay in the surf the more likely some thing will go wrong. Give it some practice and you'll get the feel. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
I am certainly no expert, but here's my $0.02...A medium length paddle yak like the OK prowler 13 is going to be the most user friendly yak in the surf. Going out is usually not as big of an issue. Like was said before, watch the waves and figure out when there are lulls. Time it right and paddle 'til you clear the breakers.

On the way in, you really don't want to surf the waves. It's best to paddle in on the back of a wave or between waves. You can throw your legs over the sides to act as brakes and to help steer. If you do catch a wave, your yak will likely turn sideways. This is ok, relax, lean into the whitewash and just let it take you skipping sideways all the way to the shore. You can also use one leg over the side to help steer and brake. Whatever you do don't try to steer with your paddle, it will make you roll.

Just go practice. Take a day, spend an hour or two going in and out of the surf. Try different techniques and spend some time gaining confidence. When you are out past the breakers, lean over and see how far you can lean before you roll. Spending a lot of time in the surf will also help you to learn how much your yak leaks.

Then when you are more comfortable, take all your gear and go fish. Just remember, always leash it and stow it.

Good luck.
I agree with this thread completely. The Trident models have the Rod pods where you can store your gear easily and they are designed to cut through the waves easier, and they have more forgiveness with the rails.
I prefer the Trident 15 and that's why I am buying one myself.

Watch this video by Jim Sammons on landing a Kayak and it will help you out a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPL1vPW25kg

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote