Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
lamb

LJ 5/12/07 AMs

Since I was apparently the only kayaker fishing La Jolla today, here’s my report.

That 10-15kt morning wind from yesterday’s forecast was no show.

Easy launch over 1ft-ers real early before 4:00am. One by one, 20 greenies in the tank in about ½ hour.

Water 61ish. Mostly greenish, visibility 10ft and under. I only saw that brownish water inside of the reserve.

I gave a couple of greenies a ride all the way to the NW corner and back. One great kayak fishing master once said "there's not such a thing as too much bait in the water"... I'm having 2nd toughts about that one. The amount of bait present at LJ these days is just insane.

Found some calicos interested in my 5” rubber close to the NW corner – that was it for me. Counterplated with the idea to eat them, but decided not to... As Greeks are eating spotties, I figured another Balkan representative has to offset the damage... Here's a pic of one pretty calico surviver that hit 11" greenie

The biggest excitement was seeing a YT cook up the water on some small bait as I was packing up my stuff before the preserve edge. Fired off a jig, no interest.

Lousy timing on re-entry, but managed to surf one bigger way and stay up when it crumbled on me.

Good seeing ya’ all.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Mr GreenJeans

LJ Report

Actually, there were two boats on the water. Didn't you see me? In the yellow Hobie Adventure? Or maybe you lost me among the 100 or so other boats out there. It seemed like today was more crowded than most days last summer. Lots of pent up fishing energy after a long winter's draught.

Slow day of fishing for me today. My bait was untouched, and my lure got bumped twice in a row for nada. I saw a swirl in the water that might have been a YT, but he wasn't interested in the iron I threw his way. Sigh.

David
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
lamb

Yeah, I remember yellow adventure(s)... Vaguely though.

One more thing I forgot to mention...

It is great to see how nicely the kelp has recovered.

But I have been noticing the same sort of build up on some of the stringers as we were seeing last spring.

I couldn’t help but notice…

My understanding is that last year, that stuff got all over the kelp dragging it with its weight down to the bottom... Where it died.

Sure hope it is only a "stringer under attack here and there" situation this year. In general, the LJ kelp looks really healthy.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
madscientist

What a zoo. Made early bait then looked for better bait. Never found it. Got tired of the crowds around the corner and took off north. Just found more bait. At least I got two freezer bags of shark chum out of it.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
"there's not such a thing as too much bait in the water"... I'm having 2nd toughts about that one
seems like a smart fellow, ya just change tactics. I'll show ya what he meant........next Saturdaylol
Old 05-13-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
yellowtail55
The Highlander

PM Report

My friend and I headed out in our peddle double last evening around 5 PM. A little later than planned...but traffic on the 5 was horrible. We proceded to head towards off of the condo, stopping along the way trying to catch bait on the sabiki rod we made. We weren't successful in catching bait, so with limited time, we decided to troll around some yosuri's in around 65 feet of water. My friend Danny caught a mac on a 6" yosuri, so I slowed trolled that for the last hour of the day. About 15 minutes before the sun set we finally found bait, but it was a little late...

I talked to a couple other kayakers out there,
One caught a nice White Seabass
The other caught 3 small yellows casting surface iron

So the fish are out there...we just need get an earlier start so we can catch bait. Conditions were excellent: little wind, small swell, and fairly warm. I usally arrive in the morning around 5AM, but I had some stuff I needed to take care of so that wasn't possible. Can't wait to head out again...
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote