Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Chops6531

Carlsbad Lagoon?

I've noticed ppl fishing from yaks multiple times when I drive on the 5. I don't know exactly what the place is called but it seems to be drawing me in and I'm gonna have to give it a try. The problem is I don't know how to get to a good launch spot or what fish to target when I get there. I plan on fishing that area on friday. If there is anyone out there who can give me a push in the right direction or come out and get some lines wet, please do. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
tsugg
LOWSPARK

YMCA Lagoon

That is what that lagoon is know as because the YMCA owns the house you see over on the west shoreline below the rail road tracks. During the summer months they run lots of kids thru there for camp outs.

If you can carry your yak or it's light enought to traverse a small dirt trail you can access the lagoon from Harbor DR.
If you are dragging a PA or similar battle ship yak to the water then you'll want to drive a little farther east(east of I-5) to the back lagoon(Battaquitos lagoon) and launch at Bayshore drive which has a short flat walk to a sandy beach that is a great launch site.

when you launch at battaquitos lagoon you will need a passive use permit from the city of carlsbad so you can traverse through battaquitos lagoon to get to the YMCA lagoon, BTW fishing can be just as good in the back lagoon as the YMCA. The attraction of the YMCA lagoon is that no motorized watercraft are allowed so it's nice and calm there(no jet skis or water skiers).BUT BATTAQUITOS HAS THE WOMENS YOGA CLASSES ON SUP's every morning so that can be a good thing especially if fishing is slow.LOL

Permits are sold at the office of the city public swimming pool located on monroe st.(just north of Carlsbad high school) I think they cost around $32. for a year.

spotties, calicos, WSB, halibut are the usual.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Caseym

Just to clarify something here...
The YMCA lagoon is named Agua Hedonia
There is a completely seperate lagoon a few miles south on I-5, it is named Batiquitos Lagoon and it is an off-limits reserve...no fishing kayaking or SUP chicks.
There are multiple "put-ins" in the AH ("Goon"). The back area is located off Park Dr.
Again, just clarifying, I always used to mix these up.
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
tsugg
LOWSPARK

x2 !!! oops
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Chops6531

Thanks gents. I will take ur advice and try to get some lines wet.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
mpc

FYI - I called the City of Carlsbad, Parks & Recreation to check on exactly where the permit is needed. I was thinking it was only needed for the inner lagoon and not required for the middle and outer lagoon areas. They weren't sure, so they called the Lagoon Foundation people at the Monroe Street office and were told that a permit is required for kayak use in any of the three parts of the lagoon. Fishing is allowed in all parts (w/ CA license of course).
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Caseym

I think its only fair that they collect money for something they worked so hard to create....errrr wait a minute.
Maybe we should start the Ocean Foundation and charge people for entering the water. Whats the diff?? Here i go ranting again, Im done.
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Chops6531

Do you need a permit to fish there?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
mpc

Nothing beyond the standard CA fishing license. I'll probably wait until I see a fishing report from someone before I spend the $42 for the permit. I went scuba diving in the outer lagoon area many years ago; didn't see much.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote