Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #21
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by thien View Post
How did you get a 4 year warranty with your hull? The Hobie warranty card states 2yrs on the hull and 1yr for the mirage drive.
The 06 Adventures that have specific serial #'s were given an additional (2) years added to the warranty period for full hull replacement coverage. This was because some people had developed a crack in the drive well area.

The crack would develop as a result of Not tightening down the Mirage Drive Properly and allowing it to slide forward and smash into the hull.

After diagnosing what caused the problem Hobie offered a drive well strengthening kit with longer cam knob bolts, and a fiberglass wedge to stiffen up the area, and by letter stated they were extending the warranty for an additional (2) years and prorated warranty after that. :ThumbsUp:
------------------------------
Out of the (3) 2006 Adventures we owned none has ever had a single problem. Two of those boats spent most of their life in Baja and one is still down there. One has been sold in Baja, and the 3rd. boat still fishes La Jolla at least once a week problem free.

Its basically a free extended warranty.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #22
pchen911

Just FYI.

I had owned 2 outbacks, including an 05 model, prior to the 07 Outback and the 08 Revo.

The 05 was one of the serial numbers that required the strengthening patch. Hobie sent me one of those patch and replacement bolts by mail.

The patch was applied, but the boat STILL developed a crack in the drive well several months after the patch application.

So the patch may help, but was not a complete solution from my experience.

Now, I shy away from the boats made during the problem years no matter what price they are. (provided that I am aware that they are from the problem batch).
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #23
hammerhead
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchen911 View Post

I shy away from the boats made during the problem years no matter what price they are. (provided that I am aware that they are from the problem batch).
How can you find out which is the "problem batch"?
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote