Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #21
Siebler

Spots Still Open!

Yes! We had 2 cancellations today so if you want to go on what hopefully will be an AWESOME trip please call OEX asap and book your spot.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #22
aguachico

Guys, right now the BFT are supposed to be thick at the tanner and the Cortez. Hope you have the weather to get on them. Could be epic.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #23
habanero

I did it!
I'm in!
One spot left.
See you all then!
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #24
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
I did it!
I'm in!
One spot left.

Easy there man, There are about 5 spots left to fill. Call in and book these last few spots guys, This should turn out to be an awesome trip.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #25
erinoo

CJ..I'm hook-up for two spots...Who else has signed up.....Eric
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #26
habanero

Sorry about that! I misunderstood the earlier post.
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #27
BWE
Administrator

The Islander guys are on a shark trip right now, but the fishing's been great around that area in the last couple weeks. As soon as they get back we'll get an up to date fish report. Side pot for the first bluefin from a kayak???

4 spots left.
BWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #28
Zed
BANNED

Check the weather, boys.

Please don't censor my posts w/o cause.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #29
riken19
Junior

Got work covered I'm in. Heard too many good things about these trips. The spring/summer trips I never have the time. Thanks for putting one on in the latter months.
riken19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #30
bosco

Extra Spot

Reserved 2 spots a while back. Now have 1 spot available. Will discount $100.00. Your price is $425.00. bosco
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #31
INGRIDSDAD

Whats the weather looking like for this week?
Any tips for someone new to mothership trips would be great.
see you thursday
INGRIDSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #32
bosco

Ingridsdad, Have all your gear organized. When the crew pulls your kayak off the rack and puts it on the deck you want to rig your kayak in a timely manner and get it in the water asap. Make sure all your batteries are charged and bring your chargers. Use your VHF radio to contact crew members who will bring you bait, food and beverage in the skiff. Bring tip money for the crew; they deserve it. They bust their butts for their passangers. bosco
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #33
bellcon

Bosco thanks for the reply to Ingridsdad
anyother mothership vets wanna chime in for recommendations and pointers for us rookies??
gear, other misc. chit?
Thanks
I cant wait!!!
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #34
Zed
BANNED

I'll answer, but you may not be able to understand my ramblings. I'm really excited too.

I haven't been on the Islander mothershipping, but I've been on others several times. Best I can tell you is be aware of your surroundings. Watch the order of the yaks hitting the deck and be ready for yours. Don't be "that guy" that's not ready and has to be yanked out of his bunk. Ha.

Get your stuff ready, the crew or another angler will hand you your rods and paddle once you are in your boat. In stead of a standard surf launch you are dropping off a boat. Have it all straight and ready to fish. After one time you will get it and there won't be any issues.

I ain't touchin' the weather question.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #35
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by INGRIDSDAD View Post
Whats the weather looking like for this week?
Any tips for someone new to mothership trips would be great.
see you thursday
The Tanner Bank Buoy will give you the most up-to-date observations. It is only 15nm from Cortes Bank.

You can also check Buoyweather for additional info.

Some of the swell forecasts look a little iffy
http://wavewatch.com/Surf-Forecast-R...php?RegionID=8

http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/sw...=295#anchor295
Click on Friday and it shows 7-8' swell. I don't know exactly what that will translate to over the high spots.

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub...item=socal_now

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtb.../pz/pzz085.txt

And finally; from the extended marine forecast:

WED THROUGH FRI
W OF 121W...N TO NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS
BECOMING 5 TO 8 FT LATE WED...HIGHEST NW. E OF 121W...N TO NW
WINDS INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 KT LATE WED...EXCEPT NEAR SAN
NICOLAS ISLAND TO 25 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 5 TO 8 FT LATE
WED...HIGHEST SE.

Your best bet is to stay flexible. It would be very cool if you get out to the Cortes Bank, but it is well offshore
and you are at the mercy of the weather. The Islander is a great boat and you should have a good time
even if you wind up fishing at SCI.

Last edited by dgax65; 09-28-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: more info
dgax65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #36
Siebler

Sounds like worst case scenario if the weather sucks we will do a day at Cat and a day at SCI. Not a bad worst case scenario though...

Just keep your fingers crossed for good weather.

Oh, and still 4 spots left, 3 if Holy Mack decides he can go.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #37
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I've almost reached the yakrider, babbling incoherently stage. There's been some great reports from the Tanner (justa 10-15mi jog from Cortez) of big hg yt and even bft on the anchor...

Little trivia:
Anyone reading aboard the USS Enterprise in '85? I'm sure they might have something to say about the Cortez.

November 2, 1985Bishop's Rock, about 100 miles west of San Diego, Calif.USS ENTERPRISE is grounded on Bishop's Rock. Reports say the ENTERPRISE sustains a 60-foot gash in the outer hull and damages one propeller. The carrier continues planned operations, taking part in ReadiEx 86-1 exercise before going into drydock on November 27.

From this link:
http://navysite.de/cvn/cvn65.html

Rumor is she knocked off a chunk, so Bishop's rock no longer breaks water at mean low tide --more like Bishop's reef now.
I was a radar technician in Squadron VAW-117 on the Enterprise in 1985. I was in our repair shop on the forward hangar deck when we hit the rock. I never felt a thing. I noticed we were leaning to one side for over an hour but expected we were just going in a big circle, that wasn't unusual when hanging out waiting for aircraft to return. Finally the captain came on the P.A. and told us we had hit a rock, we never had a general quarters. I had heard that we were landing aircraft, they need the ship to be moving into the wind, and that the navigator had warned the captain about Bishops Point. They calculated we could land the last aircraft and then make the turn in deep water. From what I understood we had a 10' tall gash 60' long below the water line. We stayed at sea for several more days and conducted more flight ops, then the ship was sent to Hunters Point for repair. I was surprised when the captain, Leuschner, was promoted to fleet admiral a few years later.

Good luck to all on this trip, wish I could make it.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #38
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Thanks for your service FISHIONADO.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #39
Zed
BANNED

Fishionado, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I knew there was someone. Thanks for retelling, and thank you for serving!

"I noticed we were leaning to one side for over an hour but expected we were just going in a big circle, that wasn't unusual when hanging out waiting for aircraft to return."

That is a testament to how huge that ship was. I understand you were on duty, but just how often would you actually see the light of day?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #40
FISHIONADO

I don't remember looking oustside that day but I am sure I wouldn't have seen anything, we didn't hang up on the rock, just a glancing blow. The only kelp I ever saw at sea was small floating paddies. I doubt we were in the thick of it, obvious shallow water hazard. There was something about that last aircraft, maybe it had mechanical problems, the ship had to be going into the wind with 30mph wind over the top to land aircraft typically.

I was fortunate and got outside often. My primary job was like a maytag repairman, during a 7 month westpac I had 36 repair jobs where someone from the flight deck would determine which radar box had failed and send it to me to repair. Most would take 1 hour or less. With high power radar you could often smell your way to the failure. The other Hawkeye radar tech got busted for weed in Hawaii so I was the only one for 6 months, they couldn't send me off to work in the mess halls or toilet repair like most new sailors on the ship. I filled my time by volunteering to work with the flight deck electronic techs, supporting ship-to-ship material transfers, watching betamax movies , and playing guitar. Embarrassing duty compared to the folks serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Much respect to them.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote