Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Zfish03

Santa Anna Wind

Anyone have experience with these in La Jolla? I can't remember the last time I was on the water with santa anna predicted winds. This weds/thurs has winds predicted at onshore 14mph from 4am onto the evening. Not sure if the hills will affect la jolla around the point... only one way to find out of course, unless someone here knows it will be miserable.
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Better to be blown out to the big fish, vs back to shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
FISH11

I live in the mountains and every time there is a Santa Anna the winds here are crazy like 60+ miles per hour. It happens as it's blowing it in (heat from the desert) and then again when it's blowing it out. I have fished La Jolla when is was very windy up here and it was hardly anything down there. So you just don't know till you go out. Good Luck wish I could join you. Hopefully in a few weeks.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Zfish03

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I live in the mountains and every time there is a Santa Anna the winds here are crazy like 60+ miles per hour. It happens as it's blowing it in (heat from the desert) and then again when it's blowing it out. I have fished La Jolla when is was very windy up here and it was hardly anything down there. So you just don't know till you go out. Good Luck wish I could join you. Hopefully in a few weeks.
Thats kind of what I figured, only one way to find out! Thanks for the reply
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
bwana

I don't mess around with Santa Anas. Maybe they are milder is SD than up here in OC. If you do, make sure you leave a good float plan with someone.

My friend Richard lost his sister when she was blown out to sea. She launched at baby beach in Dana Point and the Santa Anas came up unexpectedly. After a massive search, no sign of her or her kayak were ever found. Back in 1997 they didn't have the benefit of the online weather info we have today.

Jusy sayin...
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

while I agree about avoiding high winds while on the water, 14mph winds is like a breeze. when they get over 20 consistently it becomes a problem. tracking becomes difficult and your stuff goes everywhere. fishing bottom structure might be difficult but it would be a great time to drift for halibut. minimal effort to do so and the mirage drive will get you back to shore in 25mph winds no problem (I've done it several times).
Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Santa Anas always make me nervous, especially the gusty nature, that impending feeling of being blown out to sea. I may have gone out today, but I would not have gone much past the point.

Paddle in right now at 9:30 would be ok, but not my kind of fun.

http://w9if.net/cgi-bin/torreywx/wx.pl
Old 04-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Crazy Cajun
Junior

There are so many good days out here, why go on a windy one? I just stay home, get some things done on my honey do list, and live the good life until the next opportunity comes up.
Crazy Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Dannowar

Looks like I'm surfing!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

PMs next couple days sounds good