Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
sterling

Sea Slug, bat ray, and Mako!? Oh my!

Went out for the pm shift tonight looking for Wynonas big brown beaver.

Hooked up with something that took off. Knew it wasn't the right kind because it wasn't a vertical fight. On a really light stick and 20# I took my time and really played it out. I was fooling myself into thinking it was something good. Not true, turned out to be a 10# bat ray. I grabbed the line and did a quick safe and sane release. Bouncing later I ended up hooking a sea slug that left a vivbrant purple streak on the deck. I an post a picture later. Managed a nice candy bar greenie sometime later. My line goes screaming!!!!!! Woooo Hooooo. I grab it put it in gear and feel that horrible bump bump as it does not connect and comes out of the fishes mouth! The greening is completely intact with NO marks. I ask you guys how is this possible. I say get back out there greeenie and do it right this time. Again a few minutes later the line goes SCREAMING!!! This time I connect. It runs long and hard, makes a U turn and. It's coming right for us! I catch up after a frantic wind. It is under the boat and not too far! I think whatever it is, it is green and I won't be able to handle it. It takes off for another ball busting run and then cuts or breaks the 20# leader clean. My guess is Mako. I didn't see it when it was under the boat. That my be a good thing. I was talking with AM Surfer early who said there was a Mako in the area and he hooked it earlier. Any other thoughts?
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
madscientist

I tangled with a mako last night, twice. Looks like the little toothy bastards are back.