Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Tournaments > West Coast Whoppers - Archive > West Coast Whoppers 2006

Old 12-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

WCW 2006 Rules and Registration

Welcome to West Coast Whoppers, the year long, points based big fish contest for SoCal kayak anglers. The contest begins January 1, 2006 and ends December 31, 2006. Anglers may enter the contest at any time during the year, but it is advisable to register early to maximize your points. Registration will be $30 per angler, $25 of which will go into the jackpot. $1.50 of each entry will cover administrative costs (i.e. Paypal fees) and $3.50 per entry will be donated to The Hubbs-SeaWorld White Seabass Project. The Jackpot will pay as follows: 50% will go to the winning angler at the end of the year. The second place angler will receive 30% and the third place angler will receive 20%. We will also be seeking sponsorship of the contest to add supplemental prizes for monthly winners, largest of a species, etc.

Rules:
1. The contest is based on the following points system: Yellowtail count for one point per pound. White Seabass count for 1.5 points per pound, and California Halibut count for 2 points per pound. One bonus point will be added to each submitted fish that is caught on an artificial lure.

2. Registered anglers will be allowed THREE submissions for points each month, one submission per species. For example, each angler may submit one yellowtail, one halibut, and one white seabass per month. We have added two bonus submissions per angler per year, which are as follows.

THE MULLIGAN: Each angler will be allowed a ONE TIME opportunity for the year to submit 2 fish of the same species in the same month. For example, an angler may submit ONE of species A, ONE of species B, and TWO of species C one time over the course of the year.

EXOTICS: Each angler will also be given the opportunity to submit one of the following species ONE TIME PER YEAR for 3 points per pound in addition to the regular monthly submissions: albacore, bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, bigeye tuna (yeah right), dorado, and ocean-caught salmon (any species).

The fish submitted each month must be caught during that month. Submissions will be due by midnight on the final day of each month. LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

3. Each angler’s submission must be accompanied by two photos of the catch: One photo of the angler holding the fish (preferably on the kayak), and one photo of the fish on a measuring tape showing its total length in inches. Fish must also be weighed on an accurate scale. Reported fish weight will be compared to length to verify accuracy.

CATCH & RELEASE INCENTIVE: Any eligible fish of legal size may be submitted without an official weight, but with a tape shot for 15 points. The fish must be released to qualify for this point structure, otherwise the regular point system will apply.

4. Submissions will be made on the West Coast Whoppers 2006 message board for all contestants to see. Scoring will be updated monthly and will be viewable by all competitors.

5. All fish must be hooked, fought, and landed from a kayak, to be eligible for submission. Fish caught in Mexican waters (including the Sea of Cortez) or on mothership trips will be allowed, however kayaks may not be attached in any way to another vessel when the fish is hooked. THE USE OF MOTORIZED KAYAKS IS NOT ALLOWED.

Big Water’s Edge encourages the responsible management of our fisheries. The rules of this contest allow for catch and release fishing. Please do not keep more than you can eat. For current size and bag limits please visit The California DFG website: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/

To sign up for West Coast Whoppers 2006 please use the following Paypal link. www.bigwatersedge.com/wcw.html

Paypal will be the only method of payment accepted for WCW 2006. Fish caught prior to an angler’s registration via Paypal will not be eligible for points.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Corey, Andy, & Greg
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
madscientist

I have a couple of questions/clarifications.

1. Can we post the submission pics during the month, and upgrade if needed, prior to the end of month deadline? I'm worried I'll forget since there's no end of month grace period.

2. I understand that one must declare when one is using the mulligan and that once used it's done. Does the same apply for the exotic or can multiple ones be submitted and the highest scoring one used for final points? It would be a shame if one could not try to upgrade ones exotic, given the chance, particularly since the whole thing could be decided by this fish.

Thanks guys!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Brad I like the idea of being able to upgrade on both counts. Let me see what Cornholio has to say about it.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
Corey

I concur Dr. Allen.

we'll have to note that in the rules.

brad, you have too much time on your hands. get a job.

Please just leave the title "pending sub." until you're done for the month and then please edit to "final sub." to make it easier on the scoreboard operator. thanks

corey
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
aguachico

I remember there was a catch report in '05 where another yaker gaffed the fish for someone else. What are the rules for assistance in landing the fish?

Thanks

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
I remember there was a catch report in '05 where another yaker gaffed the fish for someone else. What are the rules for assistance in landing the fish?
No assistance from a PB, another yakker is cool.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
aguachico

OK. Cool.

At what point is the mothership allowed assist? Reason, I've been talking to a few people about catching tuna off the yak, from a boat. I was just curious, since you have the exoctic claasss this year, how you expect that to be handled.

AC
Old 01-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

The fish has to be hooked, fought and landed from the kayak, it can then be handed off to the mothership.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
aguachico

Thanks Andrew.

"landed" especially a 100# BFT has to left to interpretation.

Good luck guys.

AC out.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Art, What can not be done is the mothership gaffing your catch. If you gaff it, get a line on it and have the boat pull it on board, that is a legitimate fish.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
PlasticSkipper

Quote:
5. All fish must be hooked, fought, and landed from a kayak, to be eligible for submission. Fish caught in Mexican waters (including the Sea of Cortez) or on mothership trips will be allowed, however kayaks may not be attached in any way to another vessel when the fish is hooked. THE USE OF MOTORIZED KAYAKS IS NOT ALLOWED.
I'm going to Nicaragua next month, if I catch an exotic from a rented kayak will it count? They catch yellowfin tuna and dorado inshore there. Not exactly in season but I'm going to try and get out there. I'll have my license pinned to my chest in case you were wondering.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #12
BWE Moderator
Law and Order Please

Dave, I would like it to count, but it is out of bounds, have to discuss this one. come on! get the first wildcard. Make sure you weigh it and get the picture of you and the fish as well as a tape shot. Good luck!
BWE Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
Ryan The Sealion

ok now that "i think" I have the rules figured out, I have a question...

I like to fish the harbors occasionally for baybass and sometimes do a lil hali fishing right b4 dark... If I were to catch a legal butt...weigh it and get a tape shot and a pic with the fish...and then release it...would I get full points...? I would hope so since the only difference is killing the fish or releasing it.. :?:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

Ryan, YES, if you release any fish you have the option of taking the 15 point CnR or the actual points, whichever is greater. A tape shot with your foot, hand, whatever in the pic would suffice. You don't have to weigh it, if you just take the 15 points.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #15
Ryan The Sealion

^ K thanx andy! Glad to hear that! A "weigh and release" is do-able with a barely legal flatty (if they sit still) but I imagine a YT or WSB would be nearly impossible to weigh alive on a yak...especially a good sized one..
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote