Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
monstahfish

So close yet so far 7/22

So I got some intel that the tuna were between 2 and 6 miles off carlsbad and decided to go for it. Launched off south ponto beach in some slightly sketchy surf and spent the next 30 minutes trying to get my bait tank to prime with luck. Decided to just stick on a few baits and jigged up a pair of macks and go fish. I got out about 4 miles and started seeing lots of bait and terns but no signs of fish. Just kept going from flock to flock hoping to get lucky. Stop to check my bait and one is messed up but I don't have another choice so I stick with it. Check my other one later and it got off the hook somehow while I was bringing it in. Now i've got one screwed up mack and my bait caster with a hogy epoxy jig to match the bait in the area which was sardines/chovies in the 4in size. Found one huge bait ball and decided to wait another hour until slack. After a while I started seeing terns diving in earnest then, white streaks on the surface! Tuna!! I started chasing but they went down when a PB came at em. I waited a few more minutes and they popped up elsewhere. Went running and gunning between quick up and down crashers for over an hour but just couldn't get in front of them to make a good presentation.
Finally gave up and headed for the barn but not before flipping my outback for the first time in the surf. Ponto was firing and I mistimed the set got picked up by a 4-5 footer. Tried to get back to grab the yak and drag it but it was too late. I got picked up and the bow got pitch poled into the ground and went ass over tea kettle in front of a thousand people on the beach. Lifeguards came charging out to help.
Long story short, nothing caught but a good dose of shame but I was glad to at least have a chance.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
kirkdavis

Nice read!

Great story, too bad there wasn't a big fish at the end of it, but I guess that's why they call it fishing instead of catching. Better luck next time. I'm still waiting for my first outback dump, but so far I've been lucky.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #3
FISH11

Sounds like one hell of a nice try Shane. It seems like several people have found them but haven't had the luck of landing one yet. I hope there are some near LJ on Monday when I'm going. So far that looked like one of the days the wind will be the lowest. Last week it just started blowing after 9:30 and got like a washing machine, it's only a pain if you are trying to cover some ground. On the way out or coming back it makes for a slow ride, just can't make the speed when it's all messed up. I also got caught by one of those large in-between wave that just keeps building and then picks you up so high it's too late to brace and in trying, you just fall into the water as you put the weight onto the paddle. At least nothing lost or broken, just the pride hurt. Just feel stupid for falling off and getting wet right in front of all the people on the beach in 4' of water.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Dirty Curti

OUCH!, Great effort on the outside and time on the water.

I hope Oceanside will have some better luck tomorrow.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
OUCH!, Great effort on the outside and time on the water.

I hope Oceanside will have some better luck tomorrow.
Where you heading out from? And what time? I'm thinking O-side boat launch, and grab some sardines and head out. Thinking 5-6am launch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Dirty Curti

I'll try to reach you or meet up when I get there.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
onetriphudson

Great effort, Ponto is to be respected at all times. At least you made it out 4 miles and back safe! Maybe August is when the near shore tuna get loose.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
Great effort, Ponto is to be respected at all times. At least you made it out 4 miles and back safe! Maybe August is when the near shore tuna get loose.
I say it's already here....

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...6&share_type=t

Electra PM half day 7/23

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
Zed
BANNED

Nice try. An alternative launch is always worthwhile.

Fog in Dana was a B today. Well the fog and all the boats. One or the other is tolerable but not both. Kept us closer than we planned. Made it to about 3mi and the fog closed in. We waited it out and dodged ghost boats in the fog for 45min and a sucker hole opened up. Press on for a half hour w good terns n dolphin then the hole closed and we lost vis again and aborted.

Wind from the S to about 10 all morning. Real mixed seas. Tons of macks inshore tons of anchovy off. Scored a couple broomhandle cuders in the light green inshore to beat the skunk.

Lived to try again.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
kayakfisherman

Monstah,

One down, more to go!!!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #11
radastaff

10 knts wind, 4-5ft and fog not fun
stayed home and breathed in the smoke
kudos for trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Nice try. An alternative launch is always worthwhile.

Fog in Dana was a B today. Well the fog and all the boats. One or the other is tolerable but not both. Kept us closer than we planned. Made it to about 3mi and the fog closed in. We waited it out and dodged ghost boats in the fog for 45min and a sucker hole opened up. Press on for a half hour w good terns n dolphin then the hole closed and we lost vis again and aborted.

Wind from the S to about 10 all morning. Real mixed seas. Tons of macks inshore tons of anchovy off. Scored a couple broomhandle cuders in the light green inshore to beat the skunk.

Lived to try again.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Now for the wild part. NEVER in my life have I caught tuna on the 1/2 day boats. Let alone 2 miles from the beach in 300' of water
Who will capture the flags.........first? biggest?.............limits?