Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt, 7-22-16

Landwhale and I launched around 7 from the ramp. It was cool and clear. Water was light green on the inside and cleared a bit on the pipe. Wind was offshore, 10+ at launch time and turned around about 9am to come out of the west.

We headed for the pipe and started in shallow. I got a chunky sand bass on a sexy shad warblade pretty quickly. Then it was deadsville for a while.

Eventually I got a couple legal calicoes on a gold 3/4oz slayer head w/a sexy mullet 6" swimmerz. Then it went dead again. I finished off with nice 3+ calicoe. Same head, same sexy mullet.

We called it quits early (maybe 9:30) as my seat was all jacked up and I couldn't adjust it on the water. Fun day though and we'll try again next week, but probably hit capo first, then the pipe.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Good report, glad you guys got some fish. Sorry I couldn't make it this time.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Slow, but better than the 16hr shift i'm working today. Weather permitting we plan to head there next week too. I'm assuming friday, but i'll let you know.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
jbl_91762

I think I saw you two heading out, did one of you guys have a paddle kayak? Anyways It was my first time there and pussed out to go past break as the swells were big and I was worried about getting sea sick plus I was waiting for my cousin who showed up at 9:30! (I was on water at 6:00) You guys missed the heavy fog that rolled in! But he finally convinced me to head out and we went over to Headlands and caught a few legal Calico. I Hooked onto to 2 what we believe were Halibut but couldn't get them past the darn kelp and got away. We fished anchovies... The fun part of the story is I got seasick and we had to fight those winds coming back!!! I was warned by guys on here be careful, but my cuz wanted to say a little longer. Man Im sore and it took us 2 hours to paddle back!! Tell you what, Im a believer in that Hobie Mirage drive cause we headed back while one guy was still fishing. We get to the beginning of the breakwall and here he comes by peddling away on his PA12 and beat us back. Wow I wish I can get that yak..damn lower back problem

Last edited by jbl_91762; 07-24-2016 at 05:55 AM.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
I think I saw you two heading out, did one of you guys have a paddle kayak? Anyways It was my first time there and pussed out to go past break as the swells were big and I was worried about getting sea sick plus I was waiting for my cousin who showed up at 9:30! (I was on water at 6:00) You guys missed the heavy fog that rolled in! But he finally convinced me to head out and we went over to Headlands and caught a few legal Calico. I Hooked onto to 2 what we believe were Halibut but couldn't get them past the darn kelp and got away. We fished anchovies... The fun part of the story is I got seasick and we had to fight those winds coming back!!! I was warned by guys on here be careful, but my cuz wanted to say a little longer. Man Im sore and it took us 2 hours to paddle back!! Tell you what, Im a believer in that Hobie Mirage drive cause we headed back while one guy was still fishing. We get to the beginning of the breakwall and here he comes by peddling away on his PA12 and beat us back. Wow I wish I can get that yak..damn lower back problem
We were paddling urban camo Trident 13's. So, perhaps it was us. Definitely was a washing machine out there, too bad you got sick. I take it the wind kicked up out of the south after we left. Otherwise, you'd of had the wind at your back for the paddle in. I too have a bad back. That was why we had to head in. Seat was killing me (it was laying back and wouldn't go upright).