Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Robs
Junior

How do you know your ready!

How do you know your ready to transition from bay fishing to ocean fishing? How long is the paddle to the kelp from La Jolla? I have a tarpon 160 and a moken 12.5. Which is a better yak for the trip? Thanks in advance for the help
Robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
MrPatrick

You're ready when you feel comfortable and have confidence in your abilities. As far the kayak choice first go on the one you feel most comfortable on. Pick a small surf day and try to go out with others that don't mind showing you the ropes. I do recommend going to La Jolla without fishing gear and practicing launching and landing. It's good to practice and I think it's fun.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Your ready!

I didn't know I was ready I just made the decision to hit up LJ for the first time a few weeks ago for my 40th BDAY. Getting in was easier than I expected and the paddle out was real easy on that day, It only took about 10 minutes to hit the edge of the beds. The swell was non existent and the sun was out full force. I fished the outside for awhile and then went into the kelp beds and this is where we yakers have a leg up on the boats. I ended up catching 3 Calicos, 13, 13.5 and 19.5. Released two kept just one because it was my birthday, I usually always let them go. Coming back into shore wasn't bad at all, worse case scenario if it gets skiddish with the waves you just have to jump out and walk it in. I just got back from the Pt Loma kelp beds this weekend on Saturday..MUCH longer distance and ZERO fish for me but always a good time. I have a hobie and it's 14 feet, but I have seen all sizes out there. And it really will boil down to you and what you feel most comfortable in. I went real light the first time I went out..just a couple poles..just in case I lawn darted in the surf.

If you ever want to go hit me up.
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #4
GregAndrew

LJ is usually about as close to bay fishing as you are going to get in the open ocean.
You are ready when:
You have all the right safety gear.
You know how to upright and reenter your loaded kayak.
You no longer need to take all boat wakes head on.
And you feel comfortable in your yak.

And then, work your way up through higher swells and wind speeds gradually.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
LJ is usually about as close to bay fishing as you are going to get in the open ocean.
You are ready when:
You have all the right safety gear.
You know how to upright and reenter your loaded kayak.
You no longer need to take all boat wakes head on.

Really, Greg? Really?

Its no fun if you don't take one to the chest

And you feel comfortable in your yak.

And then, work your way up through higher swells and wind speeds gradually.

Best advise I can give you is to never launch/land when I launch/land. That is unless you want to get wet and have one of those 'I almost died stories'.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Best advise I can give you is to never launch/land when I launch/land. That is unless you want to get wet and have one of those 'I almost died stories'.
Nothing wrong with I almost DIED stories. As long as..................................

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
Robs
Junior

Thanks I just gotta go out and do it
Old 06-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
taggermike

LA Jolla has a "big deal" mystique around it. Some is well deserved; chance to catch a big fish any day of the year, maybe see amazing marine life. But in other aspects its just a fishing spot and easy to fish. The surf is usually very small, the paddle out isn't too far and you can often catch fish with out going way around the corner. Some surf practice is very helpful as is knowing how to self rescue. Going with a partner can help with the confidence. LJ can get rough and windy, but no worse than any other place. Find a wing man and go. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
Robs
Junior

Ok, thanks Mike.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
dsutter775
Malibu X Factor

My first time ever kayaking I hit up La Jolla. I've learned a lot since then and now realize that probably wasn't the best decision but its not as bad as it seems to be made out by some. Easy launch, easy paddle. The landing is the hardest part but just gotta time it right...
dsutter775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #11
f'nsabiki

When will you be ready??--when you need a wheelbarrow to get to the launch. j/k

If I were you, I would go to La Jolla with no fishing gear, and just practice going through the surf. I think you will find the biggest challenge will be the summer crowds.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
ironcross6921

While I do agree with practicing launching and landing, I think you should bring your gear (just make sure to strap it down really good and no hooks to get caught on) A loaded kayak handles different than unloaded and you need to practice under the same conditions you'll be launching/landing in. I took my PA 14 with no gear down when I first got it just to see how difficult it would be and had zero issues. Next trip while jumping into the seat managed to hook myself in the calf. Not saying it wouldn't have happened anyways but just going based on my practice I wasn't considering having 3 poles with hooks laying on the side I board. Then consider the added weight (your not moving as quick anymore) and timing the waves becomes that more critical. I own two PA14s and for awhile when I took my buddies out I would load all the gear on mine so the launch wouldn't be as tough for them but then the first time I left the gear on theirs all 3 of them on 3 separate occasions wiped out, once again not saying it wouldn't have happen just that it seemed they had gotten comfortable with the way the kayak handled empty and got complacent so when it came time to launch loaded they probably weren't as alert as the would have been their first few times.
ALTHOUGH La Jolla is probably the most forgiving when it comes to wipeouts and surf is rarely very big.
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs View Post
How do you know your ready to transition from bay fishing to ocean fishing? How long is the paddle to the kelp from La Jolla? I have a tarpon 160 and a moken 12.5. Which is a better yak for the trip? Thanks in advance for the help
Both Kayaks you have are great for heading out to the kelp. The answer to your question is do you feel ready? Do you feel that if you get tipped that you can get back in your boat. Do you feel you have a good grasp on surf launching and landing? Have you tried paddling in and out of the waves in your kayak to get a feel for it? So do this and some don't. Paddling distance should not be something that scares you. Don't let the distance from the beach to the kelp keep you from paddling out. Check out the link below and watch some of the tips for launching and landing kayaks in the surf, trust me, they will help.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+kayak+in+surf

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
Robs
Junior

I did it!!!! I went out today and got comfortable in the surf, launching and coming back in. I even made that quick paddle to the kelp. I didnt bring my gear but great experence. Thanks to all for the good info and tips.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
AirborneYak

Quote:
I did it!!!! I went out today and got comfortable in the surf, launching and coming back in. I even made that quick paddle to the kelp. I didnt bring my gear but great experence. Thanks to all for the good info and tips.
Congrats! You got the first time jitters out of the way!
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #16
f'nsabiki

Quote:
good for you for getting out!! even better that it was a weekday
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #17
Goose1993

Haha kayaking in the ocean is not difficult...
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help ocean