Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
King Saba

Trail Trekker Carts, anyone use em'?

So lately I've been having a heck of a time dragging my kayak across sand and getting it onto my cheapo cart I snagged off of ebay for 35 bucks. The thing is that I'm not willing to put down all that money on an already made cart, but instead I'm planning to build one. I'm thinking to base my design off of the trail trekker carts. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it a good design or should I avoid it and go with the traditional scupperless PVC cart designs. Thanks!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #2
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
So lately I've been having a heck of a time dragging my kayak across sand and getting it onto my cheapo cart I snagged off of ebay for 35 bucks. The thing is that I'm not willing to put down all that money on an already made cart, but instead I'm planning to build one. I'm thinking to base my design off of the trail trekker carts. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it a good design or should I avoid it and go with the traditional scupperless PVC cart designs. Thanks!
Google DIY Kayak Cart, plans to build a PVC cart are pretty good and quick to build, I built mine for about $20 and it seems to work fine, at least it's better than the manufactured cart my friend bought.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
jrip
Water dog

Quote:
I have a trail trekker. The cart won't center on the Yak so you carry more weight. The other con is that it doesn't back up well.
I use it but not loaded up for fishing. C.O.D. has an add-on for the cheap carts that centers well. It gives you two parallel rail and uses tie downs to secure the kayak.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Cart design is one thing, having the right tires for the surface that you are dragging the kayak is another thing.

Wheeleez wheels are the only one that work very well in the sand.

They are expensive, but I think well worth it, if you want the ease on moving on sand.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Google DIY Kayak Cart, plans to build a PVC cart are pretty good and quick to build, I built mine for about $20 and it seems to work fine, at least it's better than the manufactured cart my friend bought.
That's what I'm still considering to do. I modified my current cart so that it can FINALLY fit snug with my kayak. It seems to work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrip View Post
I have a trail trekker. The cart won't center on the Yak so you carry more weight. The other con is that it doesn't back up well.
I use it but not loaded up for fishing. C.O.D. has an add-on for the cheap carts that centers well. It gives you two parallel rail and uses tie downs to secure the kayak.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just go with the tradtional scupperless design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Cart design is one thing, having the right tires for the surface that you are dragging the kayak is another thing.

Wheeleez wheels are the only one that work very well in the sand.

They are expensive, but I think well worth it, if you want the ease on moving on sand.
Agreed, wheelez seem unjustifiably overpriced IMO, but I'm sure I'll get a couple some day.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
jrip
Water dog

Quote:
That's what I'm still considering to do. I modified my current cart so that it can FINALLY fit snug with my kayak. It seems to work well.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just go with the tradtional scupperless design.

Agreed, wheelez seem unjustifiably overpriced IMO, but I'm sure I'll get a couple some day.
I bought a Harmony cart w/sand tires. On the first outing @ Topanga S.B., all was well until I returned to shore. A tire lost air through the valve stem. I had to drag that $#%& back. A few kind souls offered a push. It was packaged and returned.

jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
Amish Ed

The wheelez seem expensive until you use them. After the 1st time I pulled my yak on them I knew they were worth every penny. Yak practically glides over the sand. I don't even have to strap down my yak, though I do going uphill just in case.

I've owned a few different carts and will never buy anything else again.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
jorluivil

Amis Ed is right, Wheelez are expensive but I can also assure that you will not regret buying them. As a matter of fact, I do not know one person that owns a pair that regrets buying them. This past Saturday I pulled my PA from the waters edge all the way to the entrance (where sand meets cement) with a YT, a WSB and all my gear still attached, I pulled it with very little effort.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

You guys use the beach cart wheelez or the kayak cart mini?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Wheeleze cart or buy their tire axel combination and build your own. YES expensive but you will only have to do it once. You will end up saving money over the LONG HAUL. If you come to Baja you will know you did the right thing.
MUCH easier than something with wheels that do not work in the sand and rocks.
Do it right once, no more problems. They are great and hold their value. Hard to find used.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
Sir LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
You guys use the beach cart wheelez or the kayak cart mini?
I bought the wheeleez mini and I regret it. Once I load my t15 with all my gear it becomes difficult to drag through the sand. If I just move the kayak it glides just fine
Not to mention that it seems that the inside of the wheel is wearing out. U can definitely see marks on the cart where there is wear and it seems like the black plastic in the wheel is wearing down

Last edited by Sir LJ; 09-18-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Sir LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Amis Ed is right, Wheelez are expensive but I can also assure that you will not regret buying them. As a matter of fact, I do not know one person that owns a pair that regrets buying them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir LJ View Post
I bought the wheeleez mini and I regret it.

Ok so I'll get the big'uns

BTW don't google big'uns...
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Full size all the way.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #14
buddha

Anyone ever try these?

http://www.nrs.com/product/50125.01/...-yak-boat-cart
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

And if you are going to get the big'uns in the plug in version, may as well blow $30 more and get the wider Trax 2-30 for $235

Yes, the price is annoying, but they work well.

Sell something else on ebay or craigslist to make up the difference.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #16
King Saba

You guys have got me sold on the wheelez. Someday I'll get it. Kinda hard to do right now since I don't have the $$$ to spend on them.