Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #21
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
For those using buffs... How are they when it gets hot out. I could see using one in the winter, but summer time not so much.

Jimmy, glad it wasn't worse. My nose has to be done soon. Hopefully it's an easy small job. My 1st one on my face took 60 stitches.

The buffs I have been using actually cool me down, ALOT. I fish a lot in baja and the right breathable buff makes a world of difference with the heat. Just kind of hard to drink beer.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #22
Johnp

Buffs from the buff brand have a cool max feature. They can get a little steamy from your breath though, which can also fog your glasses. An anti fog helps though. I do find myself pulling it down past my mouth at times, but ears are always covered. I also prefer the buuf over the top of my head and the hat over that, which seems wrong, but KS more comfortable for me. Also wear as a head covering under my helmet when mountain biking, absolutely solved the problem of sweat in the eyes and glasses, and is comfortable as well. Just remember to wash them every now and again
Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #23
Amish Ed

Which sunscreen jimmy?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #24
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
The only proven sunscreens that work are physical block types. And, yes those are the thick white pasty types that leave you looking like a ghost. I use ones that have titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or a combo of both. For it to work you have reapply often, about every 1.5hrs. I've been using Banana boat. Hope this helps.

While we're still on the topic, does anyone have any reccomendations for boots or socks that have a high SPF rating? I'm not blessed with $$$ so something in the $30 range or less would be awesome. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Boat-Su...boat+sunscreen

http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Boat-Na...kids+sunscreen

I've been using both and the yellow bottle one seems to work better. It's much thicker, but it does work. The green bottle one doesn't leave a thick pasty feeling, but I've had a few trips where it didn't work quite as well.
Right brand, but from personal experience the two you show won't last very long on the water. I always look for the ones that don't have the 80 minute limitation...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00
Old 09-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #25
PescadorPete

I've had a few rounds of Mohs surgery, fixing issues that came about because I didn't wear much sunscreen in my youth. The worst one was the top of the ear but luckily plastic surgery restored it.

I use Sol Sunguard BlueWater sunscreen. It is a mechanical block. It is sticky so it doesn't run when you sweat. It's actually hard to shower off at the end of the day. I also carry a tin of Headhunter War Paint and use it throughout the day on my nose, lips and ears.

I always cover up, light weight SPF clothing in the summer and waders/jacket in the winter.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #26
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Which sunscreen jimmy?
I'll get the name for you when I get home from work. In my surfing days my go to sunscreen was Aloegator. It was the only one that stayed for while I was in the water and out on my face. I was pretty well covered up on the arms and legs with the wetsuit I had.

Sadly the best sunscreens are the ones that leave you looking casper like, but it's worth it.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #27
bolocop

Guys,
Know the difference between sunscreen and sunblock. Yes, there's a difference.

Sunscreen is made up of chemicals that absorb the sun's damaging rays and turn into free radicals. Free radicals are dangerous and require anti-oxidants to neutralize. These free radicals sit in your skin where your sunscreen has absorbed it. The UVA protection is questionable for sunscreens.

Sunblock is clothing or cream made up of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. These metals prevent the sun from reaching your skin, so does the clothing. The problem is that no one likes the white lifeguard nose and the titanium and zinc are micronized, but then can enter the bloodstream.

I use a face buff, long sleeved shirt and a product call Blue Lizard. It has both titanium and zinc. It goes on thick so I don't want it on my face, but legs is ok, but takes some scrubbing in the shower to get it off.

The choice is yours...
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #28
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCS View Post
Good message.

I was looking at paddling pants a few days ago. To those who wear paddling pants: Do they breathe good and make you not feel like you're wearing a sauna suit?
I use mares full length swim pants, they breath and are comfortable.
JohnMckroidJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #29
Ojos_raros

Chemical sunscreens don’t sit on the surface of the skin – they soak into it and quickly find their way into the bloodstream. They scatter all over the body without being detoxified by the liver and can be detected in blood, urine, and breast milk for up to two days after a single application. That would be just fine if they were uniformly safe – but they’re not.

large straw hats and long sleeves are the way to go!

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #30
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
Pants, buffs, and even socks for me. Remember if your face is not covered you are getting the reflection off the water, even with that wide hat. Any body have info on the best sunblock out there ? Another thing I noticed is even with a,long sleeve shirt on I got a,burn one hot day because it was not spf rated. I think the company rit makes a powder you can mix into your wash, that gives your clothes an spf for many washings?
get a bottle of "headhunter" from your local surf shop, it is absolutely the best screen there is. Put it on one time, don't need to use a lot (its worth the 10-15$ a tube). I burn easy and this one is my go-to I have worn it on all day offshore trips with 1 application in the morning and found myself finding some behind my ear after 3-4 showers later.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #31
Johnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
get a bottle of "headhunter" from your local surf shop, it is absolutely the best screen there is. Put it on one time, don't need to use a lot (its worth the 10-15$ a tube). I burn easy and this one is my go-to I have worn it on all day offshore trips with 1 application in the morning and found myself finding some behind my ear after 3-4 showers later.
Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #32
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Right brand, but from personal experience the two you show won't last very long on the water. I always look for the ones that don't have the 80 minute limitation...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00
I've used that as well. It does apply well and doesn't feel thick and pasty, but it doesn't seem to prevent burns as well for me. It's that or maybe I'm usually just too flushed after a day out.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote