Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
ratdog

5/31/08 LJ am

Launched at 4:30am. I was in a hurry to make bait before daylight, so without timing my launched I launched into 4 smashing breakers, like a fool. Lost me FF and some small equipment. FF was a piece of doo doo anyway, oh well.
Got out to the desired spot and couldn't make bait anywhere, tossed my B/W 6x jr for a bonita, 2 slimers and a red rockfish. There were 6 sporties fully loaded, a bunch of pbers and fellow kayakers. It was freaking packed down there today. Best I could tell everyone was wacking the "wide open "cuda" bite. Called it a day about 8 am. Saturday summers days at LJ are back!
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
pchen911

Go to Jim Sammons website. www.kayak4fish.com

someone might have found your lost FF.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

thanks for the report!
... I wish it was still winter...

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
sterling

The sets this morning were bigger than they looked. Small barries at the kelp seemed to scare away the bait. I hooked a large "wsb" on the iron. The pb that saw me hook up and said they saw a huge wsb jump and it must have been what I was on. It then went straight to the bottom. Totally kelped I stubbordly pulled on it and got two divers to try to help didn't get there names, but thanks for the effort. I kept at it for over 2 hours! Finally I just pulled on the line straight up to break it off. I felt I spent a little too much time on it, at what point do you give it up?
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
john p.

Ratdog, i may have your doo doo. Give me a descrip. and i'll get it to you.
john p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
Rusty

I was OTW from about 6:30 - 11. Made my way through a million PB's and yaks, and got about five greenies... No takers. Tried surface iron to get about ten 'cudas. Switched to yo-yo to get below them, but ended up with about 10-15 more cuda. All released, nothing good. Nearly dunked on the way in myself.

Sterling- When I got back to the launch I talked to some spearos that mentioned your WSB, but I don't think they were headed back with a tank anyway. Bummer.

Ed (baerclaw I think)- Good to meet you, and thanks for helping me with my FF dilemma. Hopefully that greenie I brought you on the way in turned into something good for all your help.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
DESTROYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
The sets this morning were bigger than they looked. Small barries at the kelp seemed to scare away the bait. I hooked a large "wsb" on the iron. The pb that saw me hook up and said they saw a huge wsb jump and it must have been what I was on. It then went straight to the bottom. Totally kelped I stubbordly pulled on it and got two divers to try to help didn't get there names, but thanks for the effort. I kept at it for over 2 hours! Finally I just pulled on the line straight up to break it off. I felt I spent a little too much time on it, at what point do you give it up?
I know that some say not to use Spectra, but in those instances it cuts throught the kelp like butter. You don't give up until your line snaps or the hook pulls, my 2 cents. Cabman once hooked up right next to me and got kelped with mono, I asked him if he had anywhere to go, he replied "no". He worked on that fish for over and hour and pulled up a 52# WSB. So don't ever give up.

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by john p. View Post
Ratdog, i may have your doo doo. Give me a descrip. and i'll get it to you.
sent you a PM.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
sterling

Hey Matt it was on my jig stick so I didn't have spectra on it. I also heard of people pulling and backing off for long periods of time and winning the fight. Once I got a diver to come over I thought, "this is going to be cool" but it was too deep for anyone to hold their breath long enough to get way down in the forest that bugger pulled himself into. My friend chastised me for not having spectra on everything, but I still don't think it neccesary on the jig stick? Any thoughts.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Dean Machine

what kind of beating would a thumb take with straight spectra on a jig stick?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
gary sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
My friend chastised me for not having spectra on everything, but I still don't think it necessary on the jig stick? Any thoughts.

From my understanding you don't want spectra except maybe as a backing for a jig stick. I have 75 yards of 40lb. mono with 60 lb. spectra for backing on my Avet sx two speed. A good cast will get me a few yards into the spectra. The theory behind using mono on a jig stick is so the fish doesn't have resistance to throw the jig out of it's mouth. Mono has stretch whereas spectra has none. As far as casting spectra it doesn't bother my thumb but if you have a birdsnest then lot's of luck.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
GHOSTHUNTR

If you were to try to use spectra on your jig stick you would eventually either burn the sh@#%t out of your thumb, or come up with a big chocolate mess on your reel.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote