Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
TXyakker
Junior

6/1 LJ

Headed out this morning with the hopes of getting into these cudas and bonito on my 10wt. I brought along the YT gear just in case one decided to get hungry. The surf wasnt too bad for the launch, made it out without really taking anything to the chest. Made it out past the bouy and couldnt seem to find the bait balls where they normally are. Finally had a school of macks swim by and i grabbed 2 out of the bunch. Pinned one of those on down deep and made my way over away from the kelp. After a little while one of the charter boats pulls up around me so i figure i must have picked a good spot. I was throwing a surface iron and managed a few good sized cudas, all the while listening to the boat captain say the same thing over and over, "oh man guys, they're really boiling behind the boat, lets go guys...." I think i'd shoot myself if i had to listen to that every 2 minutes. I know he was excited, and wants people to catch fish but if i was on that boat i'd be going nuts.

Anyway, kept throwing the iron and got a thump so i wound through it but it wasnt fighting like a cuda. Got it to color and saw brown, so i was like huh? Turned out to be this hog

Pretty happy about that one and felt it was worth a photo. Kinda wish i had an ice chest so i could be eating fish tacos tonight, but no such deal. Kept fishing for a while and got another small one that came unpinned. Little while later, and a few cudas later i got another medium sized one

I really paid for it taking this picture. First time i tried grabbing him he really didnt like it and my thumb suffered from those dang teeth. He got to go back, even though he abused me.
Since the goal of the day was to try and get some cudas or bonito on the fly rod, i finally rigged her up and started casting. Couldnt find anything that wanted to eat so it was a little disappointing. In hindsight, i probably should have snuggled up next to a party boat when they were chumming. Pretty sure i could have hooked up that way, but i didnt want to get too close. Maybe next time i'll try and cheat a little closer. Good day though, and the landing was a nice one. Kinda was freaking out while i was out there because the swell was pretty big, but thankfully it didnt translate to huge breakers on the beach.
TXyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Sammy
Junior

Send a message via Yahoo to Sammy
I was out there yesterday with an 8wt and nailed 4 logs. Great fighters on a fly rod. I moved away from the crowds and started using the iron and got an ~18lb YT.

I think I can land a YT with an 8wt. I can't wait to give it a good honest try.

I got the YT down deep, yo-yo style. Surface iron produced logs and bonies.

When you plan on going out with a fly -rod again, give me a yell. I may go with.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
fishdude

Thanks for the report, have been planning on going out tomorrow for the first time in a month. The fly rod sounds like a blast, will have the 10wt in hand.
Any info on when the wind picked up?
Seemed like 10:00 in Encinitas.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Nice co!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
materbaiter 91
Junior

were you the guy who got within iron throwing distance of the dolphin then my jig landed 15 feet from your yak, then a guy kindly said your getting a little close and you flipped him off. if so you are an idiot a i thought i would let you know about. and wouldnt you rather have the captain calling out boils and being energitic then a bunch of robots, i like fishing jason because he takes his job seriously. and if you arnt that guy then im truly sorry.
materbaiter 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Not the place buddy.. Take it to PM.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
TXyakker
Junior

not that guy

Nope, i'm not that guy, so that makes you truly sorry materbaiter. No offense taken though, so lucky for you. I agree with you though, any goof close enough to get that close to a big party boat is indeed a little wild. I could hear what the captain was saying because sound travels pretty good over water. I was more than a safe distance away, so dont you worry about me.
TXyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by materbaiter 91 View Post
were you the guy who got within iron throwing distance of the dolphin then my jig landed 15 feet from your yak, then a guy kindly said your getting a little close and you flipped him off. if so you are an idiot a i thought i would let you know about. and wouldnt you rather have the captain calling out boils and being energitic then a bunch of robots, i like fishing jason because he takes his job seriously. and if you arnt that guy then im truly sorry.
And why would you be casting within 15 feet of a kayak?

Did you wanted to see how close you can get to ruining your life? You like eating fish so much that you would risk killing somone for an extra fillet for dinner? You must be really starving or something.

What is this? Extreme cattle boat fishing? Or Ultimate Dinner catching deathmatch?
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
Shorty

keep moving

Move along folks theres nothing to see here

Highly respected member of T.A.A
(Tackle Addicts Annonymous)
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Nice report and pics!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXyakker View Post
Kinda wish i had an ice chest so i could be eating fish tacos tonight, but no such deal.
I usually find some kelp and through it over the fish to keep it cool. Ocasionally splash some water on it. Keeps em pretty fresh for a while.
Thanks for the report.